Stop Dual-Boot

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Grump, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grump

Grump Registered Member

I tried to find this problem using the search feature, but no luck.

My system had some legacy hardware that Windows XP just couldn't deal with. I thought having Windows 98 (on C:) and Windows XP (on D:) would be the answer (yes, I installed 98 first, then XP - it worked to a point, but XP was a slug), but the problems weren't that simple, so I decided to get rid of the WinXP partition and just run that machine with 98.

I used Disk Director to delete the partition that had XP and then to enlarge the 98 partition to end up with just one large 98 partition. It worked fine except that the dual-boot menu still comes up. If I don't down-arrow to Win98, it tries to boot into XP, which is gone and I get an error message about a missing file or directory.

I thought I could just edit boot.ini, but I guess I didn't do that right and now it won't boot at all without an error. Boot.ini as well as the whole 98 partition is still there. Can someone tell me what file I can edit or what I need to do to get back to Windows 98 being booted automatically.

Thank you,

Grump

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Do you have a diskette drive? Can you create & boot from a Win98 diskette with FDISK.EXE on it? Use FDISK /MBR to re-install the standard Win98 boot code.

3. Grump

Grump Registered Member

I do have a win98 boot disk and, as you suggested, booted to it and typed "fdisk /mbr". Then I booted the machine as normal and it goes into the dual boot menu, where of course, it sees I edited the boot.ini file wrong. I re-edited the boot.ini file so it reads the same as it used to. Now, when I boot, I am still presented with the dual boot menu, where I have to arrow down one to get Windows 98 to boot.

I still need to know how (exactly) to get rid of the dual boot menu and automatically boot into Win98.

Thanks,

Grump

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hmm, sorry about that. I thought it would do the trick. Anyone?

5. Grump

Grump Registered Member

Well, answer the question for the excersise and for anyone who might need it in the future. However, I got impatient and just reformated and re-installed.

Thanks,

Grump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.