STOP: CONFIG_LIST_FAILED

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by hopeless, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopeless

hopeless Registered Member

I've been using OS Selector (8, I think) for quite a while with my old W2K laptop and even old Win98 PC. I've generally had few problems with it, until last week. I bought a new HP laptop and wanted to repartition the hard disk (from a single ~100GB partition, into two 50GB ones). This action OS Selector performed without any problems. However, upon rebooting into Windows I got a Blue Screen of Death (and sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach) with the following error:

CONFIG_LIST_FAILED

The full description can be found on Microsoft's site: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q291808. My error was specifically a 0xc000017d/STATUS_NO_LOG_SPACE type.

The good news :) is that going back into OS Selector and expanding the original partition back to the full size allowed Windows to boot properly. I did this procedure a number of times along with some defragmenting etc but with the same results :mad: .

Last night, on the off chance, I used a Mandrake 10 install CD to resize the C: partition and leave the rest of the disk as free space. I then quit the installer, rebooted into Windows, and hey presto! I had a single 50GB partition. Windows was then able to create the extra partition I wanted in the free space. :D

I'm slightly annoyed that software I paid for (and have recommended to others) failed in this situation where free software was apparently superior. Does anyone have any ideas why OS Selector messed up? I can supply the output from the Acronis log tool if required. My only thoughts are that Windows got confused about the amount of free space it had (i.e., it thought it had ~90GB but then ). It might also be an issue related to HP's special partition for the QuickPlay music/dvd thing.

Jamie

P.S. I'm writing this in the forum because it contains useful information for others that experience the problem.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Could you please describe what build of Acronis Disk Director Suite you used to resize the partition and what actions exactly you performed to do that? There shouldn't be any problems of this kind unless 50Gb is really to little for your Windows installation (that doesn't seem to be true).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. hopeless

hopeless Registered Member

OS Selector v8.0.917

I booted into OS Selector, chose the disk setup or whatever it's called. Selected the C: partition, chose resize, moved the slider to about 50G (in some cases I typed in 50G for the partition size), selected ok, and exited the disk setup to let OS Selector do its thing. I didn't add the second partition straight away, I just left the other 50G as free space. When the PC rebooted into Windows I got the error above.

And, no, I definately don't need 50G for the Windows installation, I think there was about 4GB of stuff on the disk at the time.

Jamie

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jamie,

We regret to inform you that Acronis OS Selector 8.0 is an old version and we do not support it any longer. The latest powerful package Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 (which includes Acronis OS Selector 9.0 along with other useful programs) should work properly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.