Stop: 0x00000608 - No Info

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pratzert, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

I have Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2 Desktop running Wi XP=Pro SP3.

I have been getting a BSOD randomly and usually when I leave the PC running unattended for a while.

The Stop Code is 0x00000608 (0x00100000,0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

I cannot find any real info on this error code.

I don't know if it's software or hardware related.

Anyone have any detailed info on this error code ?

Thanks.

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

It's worse than nought nought double nought.

Why not visit Nirsoft's tiny no installs and try his, 'BlueScreenView' and 'MyEventViewer', I have been using both for several years along with a dozen other of Nirsoft's Apps., they might throw more light on your subject.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html

3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

If that BSOD code isn't in the MS pages then it may be a fake BSOD.
    Make sure you haven't copied them down incorrectly.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Check Event Viewer under System and Application for Event ID number,
    then eventid.net.
    3 months membership costs 9 bucks if you want to get all the info.

5. pratzert

Thanks... I'll give it looksie.

6. pratzert

I got the error twice in a span of two hours and I definately have it copied down correctly.

I've never heard of a false BSOD... but othing would surprice me now-a-days with the things hackers can and will do.

Last night I booted into safe mode and ran Malwarbytes. It didn't find anything and the machine has not shut down.

This makes me more suspicious of some sort of problem/conflict with software since the PC has not crashed wiht a BSOD while running in safe mode.

Thanks.

7. pratzert

After the first time I did look at the event viewer and saw two big "X"'s but did write down exactly what they were.

I'll have to go back and write the event down that caused the "X".

Thanks for the info.

8. guzheng

guzheng Registered Member

too strange, please run hijackthis, then paste the log here.
    and please tell me the memory/harddisk size you installed on your pc.

9. pratzert

Sure.... I'll run it tonight when I get to my Home PC.

Thanks.

10. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

11. guzheng

guzheng Registered Member

Why not? disallow paste the log here?

12. pratzert

Good idea... I'll try process of elimination. But I sort of suspect Norton 360 has something to do with it. And Norton is nearly impossible to shut down. It does things no matter what I've tried in order to stop it from activating.

Thanks for saving me an a** chewing for posting a HJT log. I know those logs take up a LOT of space. No wonder they don't want them cluttering up the board.

Regards.

13. GlobalForce

I seriously doubt it's a :D;) "space" issue.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You can copy to the clipboard all the info in the Event Properties dialog by clicking on this button...

Attached Files:

15. pratzert

Thanks for the tip.

That makes it easier.

16. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

post the latest minidump file if available (usually in C:\Windows\Minidump\ ). You might have too rename the dmp extention in order to upload it

17. pratzert

I can't find "MiniDump" in the Windows folder.

I'm using WINXP Pro SP3

18. GlobalForce

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Cleaner apps like CCleaner will erase system memory dumps by default, if I'm not mistaken.
    Perhaps yours got gone that way?
    Any luck with the Event ID # found in Event Viewer?

20. pratzert

I have not used any Cleaner apps at all.

The problem has taken another twist too... several times I left the machine running unattended with no activity for a while and when I return it had crashed.... no BSOD... just a dark screen.

The event viewer does not seem to have any consistant error with a red X.

Under the "SYSTEM" Events A few days ago I had a DCOM error several times and "Service Control Manager" listing several item that failed to load. But that sounds like it did something when it tried to reboot.

I also got a few tcpip warning that too many concurrent connections were attempted.

Under the "Applications" events, I get a pretty consistant SQL error about something not being configured properly.

21. pratzert

Update:

I opted to uninstall my Rollback Rx Pro as a first step.

I plan to re-install ot wiht the latest version, but first, I figured I would let the Desktop run for a while withou even having Rollback Installed at all.

Results: The Desktop ran unattended all evening without any BSOD or crash.

There were still some red "X"'s in the event viewer as I described before... the "DCOM" and "Service Control Manager" but obviously they did not cause any re-starts, BSOD's or crashes.

I left the machine running as I left for work and will check it when I get home. I then plan to install the latest version of RollBack and keep my fingers crossed.

The next step(s) may be to swap out my Memory Sticks one at a time, and then maybe uninstall Norton360.

But at least so far, it seesm Rollback may have been the problem.

I did have alomost 500 snapshots which may have played a part too, but supposedly that is not supposed to matter.

I'll give the next update after I get back home and see what the PC has done.

22. pratzert

Update.

OK... so far so good.

When I got home my Desktop PC was still running and had not crashed or showing the BSOD.

So... before I do anything else..... I have re-installed the most up-to-date version and build of Rollback Rx Pro and see if that affects it any longer.

My next steps were to uninstall Norton360 and then after that to swap out mem sticks.

So... if the PC keeps running.. I may be Golden.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

23. pratzert

Still have a problem.

I reinstalled the Rollback Rx, rebooted and did some work for a while and then went away to eat but left the machine running.

When I returned... it had crashed. No BSOD... just a crash leaving a gray screen.

I went into task manager and stopped the shieldtray and ini the start-up menu I unchecked shieldtray ( Rollback ).

I rebooted and will let it sit for a while to see if it crashes again.

I'll report back.

24. pratzert

Bad news.... this morning when I checked.. the PC had crashed again. No BSDO.. just a crash.

Weird thing was that when I rebooted, Rollback Rx seemed to start again even though I had it unchecked in the start menu. That's exactly what Norton360 does... it starts up regardless of settings in the TaskManager startup or in the Services menu.

So.... I have, once again, completely Uninstalled Rollback.

A thought entered my pea-brain though.... even though all seems fine wiht Rollback uninstalled... it does not mean that Rollback is the main culprit. It is at least ONE of the problems... but it may be an innocent catylist of events.

It could be some OTHER program that doesn't "play nice" with Rollback any longer.

At this point, I am repeating the situation with Rollback uninstalled to see if there is a crash or BSOD. If not... not sure what to do.

Stop using Rollback or install it and start removing other items ?

I use Rollback on my work PC as well and don't have a problem... although I DID have a similar problem with my work PC about 6 months ago but it seemed to resolve itself.

These darn computers ! They can be real torture devices sometimes.

25. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Aggghhh ! Norton, that's the first thing I would have uninstalled, and forever.

If you ongoingly can't fix the problem that's what I would get rid of, it needs their tool to get rid of it - I wouldn't install that on my worst enemy's
    machine - maybe it's not compatible with another App.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.