Stock Market Ticker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I am looking for a good stock market ticker that I can add to my desktop. Any recommendations? I am looking for one without ads (and spyware, of course). I would also like one that is relatively unobtrusive.

I tried StartBar ticker, but the web site doesn't say much about the authors. I'm concerned about spyware here.

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Dazed,
    You might want to take a look at these,they start from about 2 inches down.

www.nonags.com/nonags/newst.html

Maybe Simon Haynes's,
    www.spacejock.com
    may also interest you ?

Regards.

3. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

D&C

Careful there D&C......most tickers are java applets that can bypass security......so use caution. I've been using tickers for many years for actual trading....an still never really trust them.....an mine are the real thing..........
    if no one offers you a link to a good ticker....I'll see what I can come up with.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

5. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Try QuoteTracker. There's an ad banner but the bandwidth draw is minimal. QuoteTracker can also provide real-time streaming data with Ameritrade and many other brokerage services. It is also possible to set alerts, display charts, news, etc...

6. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks everyone. :) I'll give your suggestions a try.

When trading I do use the real-time tickers on the broker's web site. But I'm looking for a small stand-alone application that will run across the top of my screen and constantly give me data. One that I can automatically start when my PC does.

7. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

http://www.quotetracker.com/privacy.shtml

If this is the same program that ameritrade uses..its not so bad.....although I have not used the free version.......some years ago it was spyware related but once ameritrade purchased it....it cleaned-up its act to some extent.......does however still monitor certain user behavior.......but claims not to collect user specific info (I have a difficult time understanding how info collected can ever be non-user specific)

An yes..if the same that ameritrade uses..its a java applet..........but if the user does not mind some info being collected.....its not such a bad Ticker......(again...this opinion is based on the previous useage of the pro-version.....) Personally, as a trader I would certainly not entertain the thought of using a freeware program such as this to trade at a broker site.........

D&C......if you decided to use a java applet ticker......consider placing the website in the trusted zone instead of allowing the use of java applets in any other zone......applets are not to be under-estimated.....

8. Dazed_and_Confused

TheSnowGuy - Thanks for the feedback. :D I just finished reading about quote tracker. Apparently it's featured in the Barrons and Street.com. It seems to be a very powerful tracker and trading tool, which is not exactly what I need. I just need a little ticker tape that runs across the top of my screen. But Quote Tracker says it has a scrolling ticker tape feature, so I might install it and give it a try. I do NOT plan to do any trading with whatever app I download - so don't worry about that.

I really liked StartBar. It's a simple ticker tape. I just wished there was a way to determine if it was a safe app to install.

9. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

D&C

When I first noticed your post I took immediate interest as an old forum friend......you have always been such a great person an it would upset me to see you install spyware.........many Tickers are spyware......I've Traded for many years......an seen countless people get burnt by free Tickers.....

Yes, I rather thought quotetracker was alittle more than you were searching for...........I often spend time looking for a small Ticker for people who just want simple realtime quotes....an since its for you I'll keep my eyes open...........

10. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks, TheSnowGuy. :)

Let me know if you run across one. But for me it does not need to be realtime. The standard 15 or 20 minute delay for my purposes here are acceptable.

11. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

If you don't want real time......then perhaps the ticker offered by M$ may do the job.......I think it can be found at >msnmoney< delay of 20 min....

12. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

QT can run in zipped format. Just extract the QT folder, click on Stocks.exe and you're set to go. The program will dynamically release RAM, and move it to the swap file. Nominal load is about 9MB. You can store multiple porfolios. If you have an Ameritrade account, then enter your user name and password. QT will log in to the Ameritrade server and update streamer automatically. You can store up to 80 symbols with infinite visual/audible alert points. Charting is included...MACD, RSI, Williams, Bollinger band, etc.

Total bandwidth load with 80 symbols is less than 9Kbps. CPU load depends on the number of alerts set. Expect to see a nominal load of 20% with a 500MHz processor.

Have traded professionally with QT since 1999. QT is not spyware. Email your concerns to support@quotetracker.com.

13. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks, nod32_9. I believe you that this product is not spyware, and it seems to be a very nice application. It just seems a lot more than what I'm looking for. And I'm hesitant to install it because of that. I see though that it does have a ticker feature, but their web site does not give a screen shot of it.

14. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I do remember that Yahoo had a stockticker back in the days, don't know if it still exists though.

15. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks, Rasheed. :) I saw that when I was surfing yesterday. It is no longer available, and I get the impression that existing copies no longer work without some modification.

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

17. newbieeee

newbieeee Guest

I'm looking for a stock market ticker tape for a website that I am making. Javascript is Ok. I don't have PHP or ASP, so it has to be javascript. anybody know where I can get a freebie? I seen some pay ones, but looking for a freebie. Thanks. For a website, not for a desktop. Thanks.

-Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.