Sticker on the back of my laptop?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by 1987, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1987

1987 Registered Member

Bought a used lenovo laptop, there is a sticker on the bottom saying "Eset Smart Security RD-XXX10S-XXXXXX-XX". Where X is purposely put here.

What does this sticker mean? and why Eset puts it on laptops?

Thanks in advance!

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

It would be an OEM license that would PROBABLY have been activated by the original user - however - it might not have been used... if that is the case, then you could try activating it..

http://www.eset.com/activate/

If the code has been used, you will get a message saying the activation code could not be found, or is already in use.

If that's the case, the license is no good and you might as well remove the sticker.

However - if the code hasn't been used already - you might have a free 1-year license of ESET Smart Security! ;)

3. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello 1987,

There is a partnership with ESET and Lenovo. Users who purchase a new Lenovo computer may have ESET Smart Security pre-installed. The serial number activates a 6 month license. For more information please see the following Knowledgebase article:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2484

You can check and see if ESET is still installed by looking in your list of programs.

Thank you,
    Richard

4. 1987

1987 Registered Member

Thanks, I went to the link and registered the serial, Eset activated it. Turns out the subscription became effective in Feb 2010 and ends in Dec of this year, I won't mind using ESS for 2 months although I have a paid license from avast too.

Cheers for great help!

5. 1987

1987 Registered Member

Hey Richard, thanks for the explanation and informative link. I tried looking for Eset but no go, I think the previous owner wiped off the drive before selling the laptop to me because when I first booted Windows updates ran for good 30 mins.

Cheers for the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.