Steps To Take Before Installing FD-ISR

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by huntnyc, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Have Rollback RX but I am thinking of purchasing and installing FD_ISR (BootBack for me I guess). Before installing this on my multi-partition drive, would like to know what steps I need to take to prepare for this program. Here are some of the steps I have though of. Are they necessary or not? Do I need to do more to have a smooth install and ujse the program effectively? Of course, I will not be running Rollback Rx. Thanks.

1. Make C drive larger because now it is too small to accomodate at least 2 snapshots.

My data is stored on other partitions of the same drive and I plan to archive primary snapshot to second internal drive.

2. Put an exclusion line in my NOD32 scheduled scan so snapshot folder is skipped.

3. I also run PerfectDisk but don't know if I should adjust anything there.

4. I run ShadowProtect but I don't know if I should adjust anything there either.

5. Already done - but I don't run System Restore at all.

Anyway I enjoy this forum and the tips on this great program. Your help appreceiated.

Gary

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Hi huntnyc,

Welcome to the club, you won't regret it, not even the money. :)

1. If your C-drive is too small, you have to expand it.
    The absolute minimum is indeed TWO snapshots and that is enough for having a FULL Immediate System Recovery. I use FDISR since march 2006 and I still have 2 snapshots for PERMANENT usage.
    Working with only ONE snapshot is the same as working without FDISR, only a fool would do that. :D
    You also have an unlimited number of ARCHIVES (archived snapshots), which can be stored anywhere : another partition, external harddisk and even on DVD/CD (not recommended).

You separated your data files from your system files and that's very good.
    This means that you will keep your updatings of TODAY for all data files, even when your system partition, needs to be restored with an image.

2. I can't give advice on NOD32, but other members might.

3. PerfectDisk is compatible with FDISR, but don't use any automatic defragging, because they cause errors in copy/update. Only use PerfectDisk on demand.

4. ShadowProtect doesn't require anything. Just do a normal backup/restore and all your snapshots will be there after a restoration. Peter can give you practical advice, because he uses SP in practice.

5. Windows System Restore is useless when FDISR is on your computer and you better turn it off forever.

6. Some security softwares have to be disabled temporarily, because they can cause errors during copy/update. If you don't know which ones, disable ALL and try to find out later, which ones are causing errors.

7. VSS/RSS can also be a problem, but I wouldn't change that until it is necessary. Just post back if a copy/update has errors.

Watch your post for awhile to read other possible advices.

Good luck !!! :)

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  3. huntnyc

@ErikAlbert,

Thanks for all. Are you saying disable PerfectDisk scheduled jobs and just manually defrag? Or, can I schedule defrags for my data partitions only and manually for C drive? Just trying to fully understand your point there.

Gary

4. ErikAlbert

FDISR works only for the system partition [C:] and ignores any other partition or harddisk.
    So you can autodefrag on your other partitions, like your data partition.
    Although it might be possible that autodefrag can be used on a specific time on your system partition, but you can't do a copy/update during that defrag period.
    I did this in the past and most of the time I forgot that specific hour of defragging and of course my copy/update had errors.

I find it very logical, that a defragmentation is disturbing during a copy/update. A copy/update can copy your entire harddisk to another snapshot, no wonder it causes errors while you are defragging your harddisk at the SAME time.

PS.: Scheduled defrags are a form of automatic defragging, just like a defrag after reboot and Set It And Forget It

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Gary

Not sure how if Perfect Disk will automatically pick up the boot back exclusion, but also I am not sure it really matters. When I played with UD I didn't exclude anything and saw no issues.

As to shadowProtect when I restore I always first delete the volume and the restore the partition from the image(I image the whole disk). I restore the MBR from the image as well as track 0. Absolutely no issues with FDISR. I wouldn't expect any from Bootback either.

Pete

6. huntnyc

Thanks guys. Taking my thread a little off topic but regarding usage, I wanted to be able to have my laptop boot into a specialy snapshot when I use it for presentations in teaching. I want to be able to disable schedule of antivirus, programs that auto startup and things of this nature so I won't be disturbed by having things pop up on screen during a presentation. But I never want this snapshot to change probably.

Would it be wise for me to have three snapshots, working (primary) for normal daily use, Rollback (secondery) copy of Primary just in case and then Presentation (with auto startup programs and scheduled tasks disabled or even uninstalled for that matter)? Thanks for help.

Gary

7. Peter2150

Hi Gary

I think you could get by with Primary, Secondary(for just in case) and then your Presentation. That would save some disk space.

Pete

8. huntnyc

Thank you Pete.

Gary

9. ErikAlbert

One of my two snapshots is an off-line snapshot and it was quite simple to create :
    1. I disconnected internet via a Windows Setting
    2. I did NOT install any security software.
    3. I did NOT install any software, that needs internet, like browser, email-software.
    4. I only instaled softwares I need for work, like MS Office, ...
    You can do the same for presentations in teaching.

So this is a very QUIET snapshot where I can work without any disturbance and it also works faster than a snapshot with many security softwares. It's also 100% malware-free because it has no internet.
    I also use that snapshot as a refuge snapshot, when something terrible happens to my on-line snapshot.

10. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

Have I misunderstood the first Sticky on this Forum? I was looking to try out FDISR on my new PC but cannot find it on the Raxco web site.

11. USAAlone

USAAlone Registered Member

Raxco just recently stopped being a Reseller of FDISR. Raxco has removed it from their website. To purchase the same FDISR with just another name. Check the thread Where to purchase ISR technologies.

Check the threads FD-ISR and Raxco to find out more about the news on Raxco and FDISR.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=173992

USAAlone

12. huntnyc

Thanks. Just to clarify, if something goes wrong with your work snapshot, you then would boot into your quiet snapshot and copy/update to your primary. Then, boot into your primary again? Is this correct? If so, would you have to reinstall you connection and security software and whatever else to make your primary as you would want it again? Hope I am understanding and thanks.

Gary

13. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

Thanks for the link USAAlone, but in view of the comments in that thread, I will look elsewhere.

14. ErikAlbert

I did alot of improvisations with FDISR, so you better don't compare mine with yours or it is going to be very confusing for both of us. What counts for me, won't count for you and vice versa.
    There is only one standard method : primary (work) snapshot and secondary (rollback) snapshot, but experienced users don't use that standard method anymore, including me.
    Peter and me have both TWO snapshots, but we use them both in a total different way. :)
    Acadia uses 20 snapshots, but I never asked him why.
    Sometimes I think Acadia is a RollbackRx-user undercover. :D

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  15. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

16. huntnyc

Would my answer be before testing any software to copy/update offline archive of working snapshot, then install the software and test. if something happens, boot into secondary (presentation), copy/update from archive to Work snapshot and then rebooot into that. Thanks again.

Gary

17. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

You do not need to put any exclusions in NOD32. I use Blackspear's settings with no exclusions and FD-ISR works just fine.

Silver

18. Peter2150

True Silver, but doesn't it scan all the snaphots?

19. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

You are right, Peter, it does. I just looked at my NOD32 configuration again (I set it up months ago....it appears that my memory is fading these days).

I did not exclude any files, but I did not include $ISR in my scan, so C:\$ISR SHOULD be excluded.

Silver

20. ErikAlbert

That is indeed one good method to save your work snapshot.
    The copy/update from archive to work snapshot will clean your work snapshot.
    This means that you replaced your rollback snapshot with an archive, which is better than using a rollback snapshot as secondary snapshot.

I also test softwares in my work snapshot (= on-line snapshot), but when it goes wrong I only have to reboot in the same snapshot and everything is gone, because my on-line snapshot is frozen.
    But don't use a frozen snapshot in the beginning, learn first each function of FDISR and once you know every function, you can start improvising.

21. huntnyc

Thanks for the confirm. Sounds like it could work very well for me. Will give it a little more thought but looks good from here.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.