Steganos LockNote (OpenSource Note Encryption)

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Warlockz, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Store your most valuable notes in a LockNote. Hide your everyday notes in a safe place. Application and document in one: the mechanism to encrypt and decrypt a note is part of it. Secure, simple, independent. No installation required.

locknote.gif

Download

http://sourceforge.net/projects/locknote

2. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Cute but old and - as a Sourceforge project - quite dead.

Can't we have this integrated into Thunderbird?

3. Warlockz

Old doesnt mean anything, period! It does the job it is intended for, and a good job at that, so why keep updating somthing that doesnt need updated?

System requirements: Windows 2000, Windows XP or better

It also works with Keyscrambler Premium!

See the original site for updates!

http://www.steganos.com/us/products/for-free/locknote/overview/

As for Thunderbird,
    this isnt for email encryption, if your looking for email Encryption use PGP, or GNUPG!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

That's a lot of exclamation marks... I don't see how old update 1.0.4 is different from old version 1.0.3. It was somebody's pet project who obviously deserted it a long time ago.

And yes, I think it would be quite nice to have a Firefox plugin for on the fly encryption with Locknote; what's the point of your original posting if you refuse to have a constructive dialogue?

5. Warlockz

Why update something that doesn't need updated? I don't understand? its basically perfect at the moment in time!

If its perfect, theirs no need to update it until some compatibility issues arise, it doesn't mean they abandoned the project, it just means that their is nothing to update at his point in time!

Then you get angry when I suggest the use of PGP for mail encryption?

You said Thunderbird, that's why I recommend PGP, you never said anything about Firefox, but yes that does sound like a very good Idea, an extension smiler to Locknote where people can encrypt their notes on the fly with a Firefox browser extension!

If you want the creators to create an extension based on locknote then maby you should ask the creators of the project if they can work on one!

I think you misinterpreted my post, sorry if I offended you with my corrections in any way, But If you think its too old and out of date because it hasn't been updated a million times like the loads of other buggy software out their than don't use it!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I agree with Warlockz. LockNote (a Steganos product) is not something that needs updating. It's like not wanting to use Notepad in Windows because there hasn't been an update.

7. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

LockNote is a beautiful piece of software. Yet I fail to see the point of posting about something that has been gathering dust on Sourceforge for years without any specific plans to revive it.

So I made a suggestion as to how that could be done, that's all. Indeed I think it would be most useful as a Thunderbird addon - PGP is a different beast altogether - and possibly for Firefox, too.

8. Warlockz

"gathering dust" bu.gif I guess I will repeat myself Again!

I don't really get what your trying to say here, if you don't like it than don't use it, but their are a 100s of people that visit this site that would love a tool as easy as Locknote to Encrypt their notes, its not my fault you have this misconception about older software, if its not broke than why fix it, you don't know the plans they may have for Locknote for the future, it isnt one of those things that needs to be updated every 5 minutes, its perfect with no bugs, therefore it does not need updated at this time, I don't even know if your reading my posts, or just replying blindly, because if you read my posts in this thread you would have gotten the point I have been pointing out a bunch of times.

Gerard Morentzy, pointed out that he agrees with me, and anyone with knowledge about software will agree too, if its not broken why fix it, if it doesn't have bugs, why add all kinds of BS to it? it doesn't make any sense especially in an Encryption software!

The reason other software gets updated so much is because they are fixing bugs, Locknote is perfect, and doesn't need updated at this point in time, Period!

If you feel this way than you should take a look at Gpg4win, I personally use PGP and have no problems, if you cant afford PGP, theirs no reason to talk down on it, or maby you should update your machine if it cant handle something like PGP that takes very little cpu, you obviously haven't used it before,but yet your talking crap about something you know very little about, Gpg4win is just like PGP it basically does the same thing as PGP, and is used by thousands of people who want a free alternative to PGP!

http://www.gpg4win.org/download.html

Or here is an older version of PGP that is free, it is version v8.0, but god forbid you use an older software, even though it does the job it was intended for, lots of people like it more than the new v9 version....

http://www.pgpi.org/products/pgp/versions/freeware/winxp/8.0/

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  9. SKA

SKA Registered Member

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It would be nice if there were 5 tabs inside each LockNote to more easily organize text within ame container, but it's cool even as it is.

11. Warlockz

You never know, suggestions may be wanted to improve the flexibility and control of their various software?

Contact

http://www.steganos.com/us/company/contact/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.