Staying logged in problem

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Peaches, Aug 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peaches

Peaches Guest

I am a registered user as Peaches4U - okay, so when I log in, it is fine on the main screen. But, when I wish to respond to a post or put a new post I am bumped back as a Guest. Funnily enough as a Guest my posts go through smooth as silk.

In OE, I have placed Wilders site in the trusted zone & cookies are accepted except for 3rd party. In ZoneAlarm Pro I also have Wilders there in the trusted zone and to accept cookies but have blocked any 3rd party cookies. Should I unblock 3rd party cookies for your site?

All worked fine when I used the freebie version of ZoneAlarm but changed since I installed the Pro version. I made no changes to my security settings to cause the current scenario described.... so I can only conclude :'( I am on the outside looking in.

I read your TOS/Privacy and do not believe I have broken any rules so now whato_O? :'(

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Peaches,
    for sure you are as welcome as ever!
    It is that ZAPro asks some more settings. You might like indeed to try to accept all cookies and if you look in the privacy > websites you might like to accept even more like advertisement (banners) but i doubt this is necessary.
    More people all of a sudden get problems with this new ZAPro version because of additional security possibilities.
    This is a very safe site so you can put it in the trusted zone (i also did in Internet Explorer > tools > options > security > trusted zone ) so this together might help?
    And when you log in set the login for "always" and don't delete the forum cookie after using it!

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hello Peaches,

Yes, the new ZAP 4.0 may well be interfering with your connection here. You should do some tests by first disabling to entire Privacy settings in ZAP, restart your browser, and see if that allows you to stay logged on. (ZAP's privacy filtering can cause unexpected issues, so you should try to eliminate the Privacy settings as the issue first by testing with it disabled. The fact that ZAF has no such filtering or Privacy settings - successfully logging in with ZAF does not mean ZAP will work.)

Since the installation of ZAP is all that changed between being able to maintain a signed on connection and not, if the above does not resolve the issue, you may need to test briefly with ZAP completely shutdown. Assuming you are current with all your Windows patches and your AV and other products are up to date, you should be able to test briefly by shutting down ZAP from the systray option and then restarting a new IE session and testing. If you stay logged on, then clearly ZAP is established as the cause of the problem.

Let us know the results of this testing and we'll see what else can be done.

FYI - I believe you've already tested the full deletion of cache and Wilders related cookies, as a possible cause, which has pointed more towards ZAP being the root of the problem, correct?

4. Peaches

Peaches Guest

Before disabiling ZAP, I shall allow all 3rd party cookies and see what happens. Right now with all the nasties flying about, it is sooooooo nice to be running virtually problem free. I think I am pretty safe in allowing 3rd party cookies cuz I have SpywareBlaster and other stuff to pretty much take care of the nasty stuff. Yes, all my patches are up-to-date and so are the definitions.... I practice that most religiously. I have done a ports probe and my computer is in total stealth and invisible to the internet. Shall get with it and do the cookie bit first and then take a deep breath and try your other suggestion. Ooops, "mood adjustment hour" is here so maybe I shall adjust my mood first with a nice glass of red ... :D
    Thanks for helping..... Cheers

5. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

o_O Was clicking this & that and even posed the question on the Zonelab forum ... came back here and I have no idea why I stayed logged in this time ........ all I can say is I hope it remains that way. I did not disable ZAP. I must have omitted a step I should have taken and covered it this time. Will see if I can retrace my steps and if I can figure out what I did, will post it here for future reference. Whew!! :p :D You both did put me on the right track though....... thanks.

6. Peaches4U

:rolleyes: Wow, here I am again ... sailed right in like a ship in the night!! :D Okay, I figured out what I did different. In Internet Options security/Custom level - I changed Java Permissions from High safety to Medium safety [not happy about that as I prefer to leave it at high] and problem solved. I had Java set at high cuz I was plagued with data miners however, IE-Spyad is taking care of that now [upon good advice obtained on these forums] ...... will see how it goes. :)

7. LowWaterMark

Well, I'm certainly glad that you are now able to stay logged on, but, unfortunately, this forum software doesn't use Java applets, which is what that particular setting controls. It does use JavaScript, which is controlled from the "Active Scripting" setting way down on that same list of security settings. So, a rather surprising result from that setting change, I'd have to say. :doubt:

Did you toggle it on and off a few times, checking in between that that setting is definitely what made the difference?

8. Peaches4U

No I did not toggle back & forth. Under Scripting in Security, enable is checked and I made no change. Would you like me to toggle to see what happens?
    This is what I actually did:
    1. In OE, under Security, I placed Wilderssecurity in the Trusted Site.
    2. In OE/Privacy, I changed to accept all cookies including session cookies.
    3. In the ZAP, Site listing, I added Wilderssecurity, and allowed all cookies.
    4. I changed the Java permissions and then went back to this site to see if it would work ... it did!! I know that I had placed the Java permissions on High when I had that problem with Red Sherrif a while back, however, with IE-Spyad, I think any bad applets will be blocked. Anyway, thanks for your help - also, this is a good learning experience for me. ;)

9. Peaches4U

I just put Java Permission on High and here I am .... I am truly at a loss to explain all this. o_O I do know that doing the cookie bit only made no significant difference but something happened after I set Java Permissions to Medium. Maybe it was a fluke that I am remaining logged in?? Maybe I have little gremlins hiding in my puter? :D Regarding Java Applet Scripting it is set to Prompt for permission. Maybe it was something I did or changed when setting up Wilderssecurity in the Trusted sites in both IE and ZAP? These are the only areas that I was working in to try to solve this problem. Cheers

10. LowWaterMark

Well, this item I find most interesting. ZAP was the main change on your system and here was a change in ZAP's Privacy settings that could well make a difference...

>> 3. In the ZAP, Site listing, I added Wilderssecurity, and allowed all cookies.

Effectively, you added Wilders to the Trusted "Privacy" listing in ZAP when you did this and it very well could be the most important change.

11. Peaches4U

I seem to remain signed in just fine now... I did an Ad-Aware scan and no nasties came up after loosening up on the cookies, did a port scan and am still in total stealth. I think that perhaps I did not intially have Wilders configured propertly in ZAP... I think from this experience, I will know what to do if any more similar problems come up. Cheers. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.