Static snapshot error

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by nixie21, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Can not create secondary snapshot....i tried the -vss or -rss thing and install

Well full uninstall and reinstall, same problem:
    03/22/07 19:23 0010 FirstDefense-ISR Service [Server Version 3.10.173] started
    03/22/07 19:23 0084 Pre-boot Check ... OK
    03/22/07 19:24 4510 Snapshot "Secondary Snapshot" created
    03/22/07 19:24 1000 CMD> COPY "Primary Snapshot" "Secondary Snapshot" EXCLUDE *.tmp
    03/22/07 19:24 1032 Copying snapshot "Primary Snapshot" to "Secondary Snapshot"
    03/22/07 19:24 1035 No files copied or deleted; Errors 2; 2 seconds
    03/22/07 19:24 1259 Static snapshot error

Any Ideas?

Thanks

2. nixie21

OK, i switched to -rss and now it is working, although it says it will take 7 hours to create the snapshot!

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Whoa that doesn't sound right. How big is your c: drive. Also you should probably turn off any active security scanners.

4. nixie21

200 gig, 117 free...

it is VERY slow, i will stop it and turn off all security and see if that helps...Do i want to anchor the files before the secondary or after?

Thanks

It says my primary is 68gig

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Guys, I often see my snapshots taking "hours" to create, but once it starts the time quickly re-calculates itself. I have quite literally found hours turn into minutes.

My advice for EVERYONE who has be "turned off" by this: go ahead and let it run anyway. If, after 30-45 seconds it still says "x number of hours" then yes, go ahead and kill it. But see if it recalculates the time remaining into minutes, and if so, enjoy the creation or update! :cool:

Acadia

6. nixie21

it was running for 10-15 minutes and was at 7% and still said 5 hours... I will retry in 5 min...

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

How big is your Windows + Applications and how big are your personal data files ?
    If your folder "My Documents" is included in the snapshots, it will take alot longer, than when you anchor the folder "My Documents".
    Anchoring means that anchored folders are not included in your snapshots.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, then something is wrong; FD is NOT working on your system :doubt: (unless your total system is exceptionally HUGE).

Acadia

9. nixie21

OK, i have in my documents a LOT of files, maybe 40 gigs of pictures and music. It has been going 25 min, and says it still has 1:33 left...

Explain this to me,

If I anchor the my documents folder before the secondary, then i need to copy the secondary to the primary, what happens to the documents? do i lose them? Or did I do it right and need them in the secondary? Is this time crazy for the amount of files i have?

Thanks

I use TI anyway, so I stopped the process and anchored the 2 users documents folders, it now starts and says 45 min which i am sure will be faster, if this sounds right, thanks for the help... but since it is not in my secondary, what will i have in the my documents folder if i boot to seconary?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  10. Peter2150

What anchoring my documents means, is that instead of each snapshot having a copy of all those files, there is just the one copy on your disk, and all snapshots have the same access to them.

With 40gigs of data that could take time. My machine is quite fast, and a 19g snapshot takes almost 30 minutes the first time. After that updates are quick.

Pete

11. ErikAlbert

First, take a backup of your system, in case you didn't.

Then anchor your folder "My Documents".

Then try again to create a secondary snapshot again. It will go alot faster, because 40gb isn't included anymore.

The anchored folder "My Documents" will be shared by all your snapshots.

12. nixie21

ok thanks, it said 45 min went up to 1:10...but the transfer speed is started to rise....

thanks, i will let you know total time and gigs.... A big thanks too all of you :)

13. ErikAlbert

You still remember our little discussion about this ? This is a practical example.
    nixie's data is way too big to include this in a snapshot.

14. nixie21

ok 55 min down 8 to go...

10.88 gig so far.... is this normal for time? If not what can i do? if so, how long would it take to update secondary, or copy secondary to primary?

Thanks

15. nixie21

1 hour 1 min 12.23 gig, 2 errors?? What errors it does not say!

16. ErikAlbert

Those errors are very shortly explained in the log file of FDISR. Most users don't understand them anyway.

2 errors isn't much so they might be caused by some security software.
    Do you have defragger that runs automatically ?

Anyway 61 minuts is still too long to be practical. You probably have a slow computer.
    The final test is the copy/update between the primary and the secondary snapshot, which is always much faster than creating new snapshots.

17. nixie21

I dont get it... I have a p4 2.6gig, 1g ram
    i shutdown all security software
    I believe i shut down disk keeper...

I guess I will see, I booted to the secondary and it woked fine! Now i need to learn how to archive!

Thanks again

18. ErikAlbert

A running defragger is a disturbing element in copy/update. I've done a few test on that. Each time errors.
    Your computer is good enough IMO.
    Creating a new archive is normally faster than creating a new snapshot, but the difference isn't that big.
    Refreshing an existing archive is much faster.

19. nixie21

Thanks again for helping me out....This looks like a keeper! Now to archive and create a new image!

20. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:thumb: Yes

@Nixie
    Wow :eek: is that an 83G system partition? ?time for a little house keeping :D
    Your box is fine, its the straight out SIZE of the snapshot!

Either Anchor as suggested or move the Vids and music files to another partition or external drive (heh: not as if you dont have the room). Image whatever set-up you use.
    Your remaining system snapshot(s) should be much easier to manage, each bootable snap will be able to access other partitions or external drives.

Be aware that even with compression (and vid files often dont compress well) your snapshot of 80G (without anchoring) is/may be going to be in the order of 60G+, you will eat that HD in record time.

Regards.

Edit:PS: I'm a little unsure about the implications for "intersnapshot security/isolation" if you share/anchor files between snaps: Peter or other experienced user can probably advise.

21. ErikAlbert

nixie has IMO two choices,
    1. Anchor the folder "My Documents" OR
    2. Move the folder "My Documents" to another partition, which is IMO the best solution on long term, which is also interesting for backup of data alone.

22. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@E-A
    Agree
    I'm a bit more of a fusspot and tend to keep stuff in other folders than MyDocs
    Not really sure why: some problem with MyDocs on a previous Winbox, cant even recall what, maybe something about MyDocs as a target for malware: prolly no longer relevant.
    Probably should rethink that maybe, but just easier for me to hive stuff off to external discs, particularly as I use the "single partition approach"

Option 2 looks like a goer. :cool:

Regards.

23. ErikAlbert

Giving your folders another name than the default name is always better, but they can recognize your data files by extension also, unless you change the extension as well.
    It's a bit far fetched IMO and it's annoying to work with also.
    The bad guys know the habits of the good guys also, after looking at so many computers.

24. Peter2150

Erik

I have to agree with you about the my doc's thing with a 40gig folder. I am in a different world with the maximum space on both machines of 20gig for the whole drive including both snapshots. I like Longboard really keep these drives clean. I have some really large files from some programs, but they go on an external drive.

25. ErikAlbert

I'm lately interested in editing movies and these files are a real pain on my disk, they slow everything down, backup and archive, copy update, ...
    That's why I decided to load only one movie on my data partition and get rid of it as soon it is written on a DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.