startup scan wont stop

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by nate51, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate51

nate51 Registered Member

I am using Smart Security v5.0.93.0 and everything has been working fine, no Windows updates or changes to the system in days. But just this morning I noticed SmartSecurity is kicking in a startup scan only when I open a program otherwise the startup scan does not kick in. The startup scan isn't a big issue, the problem I am noticing though is that when the startup scan starts my system gets laggy, especially sending emails through Outlook, sent items hang and take forever to send. I tried performing a full system scan but each little dll file took around 4 minutes to scan so I had to cancel it as it was taking way too long.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? my task bar has been indicating a startup scan is in progress for the past 4 hours.

As a note I even tried going into my scheduler and setting it so that startup scan only performs when the system is idle, that did not work so I tried to disable startup scan all together and still it is happening. Even performed a virus signature update in case it was a messed up signature file.

I could really use some help from anyone that knows what might be going on. I would hate to uninstall this software since it has been good to me for months with no trouble.

2. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

Happened to me for 1st time ever last week for no reason, so I set it to idle only which I got from Googling issue and linking to a thread in this forum.

3. nate51

nate51 Registered Member

Seems you are correct, I wasn't able to find a solution on the forum but I let it run all day (10 hours) once it was done the next day it was running like normal again. I guess it was doing a detailed scan or something.

4. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

No scan should take 10 hours, it was bugged.

I have never liked ESS 5 TBH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.