Startup Recovery Manager

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kostas3, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kostas3

kostas3 Registered Member

Hi There

I am new to ATI Home 10. I have just installed it on my desk top machine.
    Created a backup location on an external hard drive
    Created a backup image of my C\ drive
    Validated it
    Created a Media Builder Boot up disc to allow me to start the comp if winXPPro does not work

My next task is to set up diff/sequ backup (when I sort out the difference )of my C\ drive and then data files

I was thinking about Activating Acronis Startup Manager. It would appear that this requires the Acronis secure zone to be created?

I think it says that backups will then be located in this security zone?
    But I want to keep my backups on the independent external drive

Question:-
    1. Am I correct in this assumption. Backups will go in secure zone?
    2. Is it worth having the Acronis Startup Manager when I have a startup CD disc?
    3. Are there any threads you would particularly recommend I should look at.

Many thanks from a puzzled newbie

2. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Secure Zone must first be created. You can locate your full backup image in the SZ.

Advantage: If your OS fails to start, you can press F11 to restore.

Disadvantage: If your HDD breaks up, you have nothing.

3. kostas3

Thank you, but as I mentioned I want to keep my backups on an external drive

If secure zone is created, does this mean future backups go into this secure zone on internall HDD instead of external hard drive?

Are you suggesting it would be better to just stick with Cd Bootup disc and backup on external drive?

4. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Yes! The Secure Zone is a sub-optimal solution for situations where there is no external drive and no ability to backup to burned disks (CD, DVD).

The Secure Zone has the potential to damage your system and make it unbootable, losing data in the process. This happened to me* and to many others you can read about in this forum.

* When I first bought ATI, I created a Secure Zone. It destroyed my data and rendered my system unbootable and unrecoverable, even after much assistance from Acronis Support.

5. kostas3

That is just the sort of advice I wanted.

I will stick to the bootup CD and backed up images on external drive.

Thanks again

6. babac

babac Registered Member

Yes, yes and yes.
    That's the way to do it!

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kostas3, tuttle,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please have a look at this previous post for explanations about Acronis Startup recovery Manager and Acronis Secure Zone and why it’s not recommended to create it on the external drive.

It is not necessary. The backup has to be in the Acronis Secure Zone only if you want to use Acronis Snap restore function (as described in chapter 3.6 "Acronis Snap Restore" of the respective User's Guide).

Acronis Startup Recovery Manager provides the same functionality as the full version of Acronis True Image when booted from bootable rescue CD. If you do not have a CD-ROM drive Acronis Startup Recovery Manager could be your choice. If it is suitable you may use Acronis True Image Bootable CD only.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.