Startup Recovery Manager

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chattycathy, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

I am using Acronis True Image 9 with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2. Does the Startup Recovery Manager work like the Windows system restore feature? I have been searching online for an alternative to system restore and found this feature in this version. Does it work the same and if so, do you like it? Thanks!

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Though I've been using True Image for a number of years, I've yet to find the need for the Startup Recovery Manager.
    This may be a silly question, but what do you want TI to do for you?

3. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

I want it to do the same as System Restore does for Windows XP. For example, if you should make some changes that did nothing but cause problems, with system restore, if you have a restore point before the changes were made, you can put Windows back to before you made the changes. I'm looking for an alternative to System Restore other than Norton GoBack. Thanks for your time.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

If, for some reason, Windows will not boot (and you don't have a recovery CD), you can use SRM to boot and perform a restore. That’s about it. SRM will not make backups for you or restore for you; it just give you access to TI.

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Nooooooo ... not GoBack! :D :D . True Image goes a lot deeper than System Restore. It's strength comes into play when your system has a catastrophic failure and would not boot. With TI you make a complete backup of the hard drive which you can recover in case of a disaster.
    I don't have Windows Restore turned on. What I use instead is a little Free program called EruNT for exactly the scenario you describe. You run it before any new program you're going to install and if the install messes up, EruNT lets you put the Registry back to before the install. But it does mean that Windows still has to boot up, even into Safe mode would be okay.

6. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

chattycathy,

Here is how it goes with True Image.

You regularly create whole system drive (or just system partition) images. These images will be normal files (with a .tib extension) that you will keep stored on another (internal or external) HD. When you need to rebuild a previous healthy state on the system partition, you invoke TI Recovery, select an image file created at the time you want to return to and restore it to the system drive. It's like with System Restore, except that TI rebuilds all the data on the system drive/partition, while System Restore rebuilds only particular files and is therefore not always successful. On the other hand, a TI restore may make you loose the personal data created after the image was taken, but there are ways to avoid that.

You do not need Startup Recovery Manger to do the above. It's just a small shortcut in the restore procedure, but it has its drawbacks, therefore you should avoid it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.