Startup Guard

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Huwge, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Hi,

Following many recommendations I have now purchased Acelogix Ace Utilities. I 've done a quick search with no result.....any opinions on their freeware program Startup Guard?. Is it worth downloading

http://www.acelogix.com/freeware.html

Thanks in advance

2. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

From reading the description it sounds like a polling monitor

You would probably be better off using MJRW Registry Watcher (free) to do the same thing. There is a thread here at Wilders describing it here

There are also paid alternatives that do more (as you might expect), both of the tools mentioned below cost money to buy but they do come with a trial

RegRun is a polling monitor that has some nice features

RegDefend is a kernel based monitor that stops a registry change before it can happen so its better than a polling based monitor. The downside of RegDefend is that it doesn't monitor the startup directories for new shortcuts being added, but you could use a combination of RegDefend and MJRW to do that...

Hope that helps

3. www.mlin.net
    Startup Control Panel.
    Startup Monitor -> similar to regdefend. not customizable. <40kb i think

www.winpatrol.com
    Winpatrol
    too many features to write. Polling monitor. services, startups, BHO's, scheduled tasks......

both are better than MRJW IMO, because MRJW is very aggressive.
    downside : lack of customization in 'things to monitor'... either they monitor position X by default, or don't at all

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Same opinion... ;)

5. agent9x

agent9x Guest

I would like WinPatrol more if it was a bit faster, like Spybot's Tea Timer. The fastest you can make WinPatrol at detecting changes is 1 minute. That's too slow in some cases to help you. If Spybot can do it faster (seconds not minutes- and still free) why can't WinPatrol?

6. If you poll faster like TeaTimer, you put more load on the CPU. That's why I choose WinPatrol... lighter, more efficient... plus more customizable AND gives more info.

PS: they're changing the code in WP to have a faster polling time, I think I read that in their help files or website somwehere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.