StartUp Fix?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Riverrun, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

A friend of my is getting occasional Startup errors (won't boot at first attempt) on her XP Pro laptop. She asked me if I could help and I said I'd ask here. Does anyone know of a (preferably) generic fix for Windows XP? I realise that this is a tall order but I'm throwing this request out here in the hope that some member might know of some of something reliable.

Cheers

2. Riverrun

I'm trawling the net looking for something (well, mostly at MajorGeeks) Found Startright 1.3.4 at the Major's. Seems OK.

All of the principal vendors at VirusTotal passed it.

One flagged for 'Suspicious Archicture' maybe because it's a Zip File or pehaps because of the way it's designed to function. Anyone use it?

The last AV engine on the list at virustotal indicated a virus...only one scanner out of the lot. I'm thinking it's an FP.

I'm being very cautious 'cos it's not my PC and I don't want to mess up.

Not about to do anything hasty.

Cheers all.

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Riverrun,

Are you in charge physically, or passing suggestion's? It boot clean from safe-mode?
    Her system pre-installed, sp2 included on disk, sp2 through update, or *still* sp1?

Steve

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  4. Riverrun

Boots clean in safe mode, sp2 installed, went over to see her and found that she had two firewalls running :( ...problem solved, I think.

5. True Orient

True Orient Registered Member

Please humor me but I don't see how two firewalls can prevent Windows from booting up on first attempt...

6. Riverrun

Must be another problem lurking, then.

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Depending on the FWs and their scope of protection it could be possible. Many FWs are now acting as not only Internet connection protection but system, OS, protection as well. Always a chance of conflicts in that instance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.