Startup Control Panel (Mike Lin) software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Stro, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stro

Stro Registered Member

Startup Control Panel (SCP) by Mike Lin (www.mlin.net) was on some recommended list on the spywareinfoforum.com website. There are two ways to install SCP, and the narrative in the spywareinfoforum.com list was positive about the stand-alone (.exe) installation, but not the Control Panel appelet (spelling?) method.

Can someone please tell me why the Control Panel appelet install method is not recommended? I installed SCP via this method on my kids new WinXP Home PC, and was just about to do the same on my similar PC, but then I read the article.

I posted this question on the http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/ website, but none of the 26 folks who have looked at my question have answered. I'm hoping for more success here.

Thanks for your assistance.
    Stro

2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I was dumb enough to install it... now it's in my Control Panel and I can't get rid of it....

Cochise, :cool:

3. Stro

Stro Registered Member

Cochise,
    On his website, Mike Lin provides removal instructions for Startup Control Panel installed via the Control Panel applet method (as well as removal instructions for SCP installed using the stand-alone method). Are you saying you followed Lin's removal instructions for the Control Panel applet and they did not work?
    Stro

4. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

'Fraid so mate...I uninstalled it from Add/Remove, programmes and everywhere else i could find but it's still there in my Control panel...Right click just gives you Open or Short-cut....if I click Open I get the MLin start-up window.....unistall instructions from MLin site do Zip....even tried his 'Run, StartupMonitor.exe/kill' it don't work....all I get is file not found yadayada.

Cochise, :cool:

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

but wait, did you not try running TweakUI (powertools) to eliminate it from the control panel? See my thread about Corel Versions icon in control panel if you like links to it. Bring plenty of tissues, it's a sad story

-HandsOff

to stroh, probably lots of readers are using other programs for this feature, so are not familiar with your problem..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.