Starting security arsenal from scratch with Mamutu as core security.

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Konata Izumi, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I just got a 3month license of MAMUTU

I'm starting a new security arsenal from scratch with Mamutu as core security application.
    I plan on covering/lock down the bases not covered with Mamutu.

I want my system to be as light as possible and with the least I/O Read/Write. (as much as possible no realtime AV)
    My OS would be Windows XP SP3 32-bit (1gb RAM)

Any suggestions?

I want this 4 layer prevention:
    - Programs can't run automatically.
    - When launched the program will be isolated from my real system
    - If launched isolated or not. A way to know/block the program behavior "before" it starts to do anything malicious.
    - If bypassed, the malicious program would have limited actions to do.

Cure?:
    No need for an antivirus programs if everything is bypassed. My last layer would be a system virtualization. All I have to do is reboot.

I'm doing online-banking. the top priority should be securing my credentials.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  2. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

- prevx safeonline (free)
    - sandboxie (paid) force most internet facing apps sandboxed and drop rights enabled as well as delete on exit enabled.
    - keyscrambler (free)
    - defensewall

3. tipo

tipo Registered Member

defensewall :thumb:

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

AppGuard

5. Konata Izumi

I'd want to... but it's NOT free... I guess I'd go with Geswall + MAMUTU.
    Anything left out?

MBRGuard

6. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Mamutu also is not free. Personally I think that Geswall and Mamutu is an overkill. A better set up would be threatfire, sandboxie, and Avira free. Threatfire for behaviour blocker, sandboxie for isolation and Avira free for detection.

For cleaning I would either use MBAM or A-squared free on demand. Now If you want you could try Linux and forget all these hassles mentioned above.

Thanks.

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Have you considered using a 2+ partition system with Windows and essentials installed on a very small system partition that's secured by a virtual layer (deep freeze, shadowdefender,...) and set to reboot to the same clean state each time, while you would install new programs and save documents/work on the other partition/s? That way you could forgo realtime antimalware because even if you get infected, the infection disappears on reboot.

Of course you would still need proper firewall, keylogger, and other protections to keep hackers from stealing your info, but at least viruses and trojans shouldn't be a problem.

8. Konata Izumi

I for sure that wouldnt work and there would be obvious stability issues on the programs installed on the unvirtualized partition.

@CogitoTesting
    That's a pretty straightforward setup there. I'd rather stick with my default computer setup mentioned in my sig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.