Starting Image Creation directly from DOS mode

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pw455, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pw455

pw455 Registered Member

Hi,

I'm thinking about purchasing True Image Home 9.0 and have a question. Is it possible to initiate the imaging of a partition/drive directly from DOS? If not, when imaging is initiated from within Windows, does it reboot into DOS to create the image? I don't 100% trust an image being created from within Windows since certain system files are being accessed.

Thanks.
    Pete

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

True image does not use DOS it uses LINUX where necessary.
    Imaging works perfectly when booted into Windows, one can even continue running other programs while the imaging takes place. The technology actually does work.
    Recoveries are done in a Linux rescue environment.
    Some less confident folk boot from the recovery CD and do their backups the old fashioned way. So you have the choice.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Another person who backs up while in Windows without any problems at all. Yes, files are being changed but the technology takes care of it.

4. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

I create Full Images only from the Boot-CD. Haven't had any problems.
    I have no need for Secure Zone,...Incrementals,...Differentials, and Scheduling backups. I always run "Chkdsk", and "Defrag" ...before I make any backups - "Manually". *puppy*

5. pw455

pw455 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

Starsfan09, what you're doing sounds like what I'm wanting to do. Is there a way to create a boot CD or boot floppy if I get the download version of True Image?

Also, if you do everything outside of Windows, do you even need to install anything in Windows?

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes, there is a "create media" wizard. This should be done everytime you update the program to get the new fixes in the bootable CD.

If you want to use the CD only, you can uninstall the program after you create the CD.

7. Clearline

Clearline Registered Member

Whenever I am working on a new client system, I usually start with a cd boot of their system, and get an image of their HD and either network it to a server or create an image zone on their system.

On my own system, it is faster to do my image backups from windows, while still using the pc. A booted cd system does not take advantage of the dma and udma ide enhancements as well as an operating system.

On my system, I have also turned off all the autostart services and programs, so they only load when I start the program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.