Start Xp in SafeMode

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JunkHunk, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JunkHunk

JunkHunk Registered Member

I have Arconis TureImage v. 11 with the startup recovery manager activated. How do I now get into my BIOS (or start XP in SAFEMODE). The only option I haver before Windows starts up is switching to the SUp Recov.Manager and not into DOS.
    I would be grateful for any input.
    Best wishes

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Are you saying that tapping the F8 key during startup no longer brings the system into the menu that has Safe Mode?

3. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

Yes, with recovery manager activated you get an extra (F11) key you can press during startup. It has no effect on F8, F5, 'delete', or anything else you could do before.

4. JunkHunk

JunkHunk Registered Member

Of course it does! Just me forgetting I had the option. :oops: Was a bit thrown off by the F11 notice.
    Thanks for the post and Happy Xmas!!!

5. DwnNdrty

Glad you got it .... you'll find that many of us here don't recommend the use of the SRM, but then you have to have another drive, external or internal, to hold your Backup Images.

Merry Christmas.

6. sparkymachine

Don't want to hijack your thread JunkHunk but thought I'd ask DwnNdrty why that is. I have booted to CD but only to format C: first if I felt like it. I've not had a prob with SRM, yet :blink:

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Activating the SRM and using it on a regular basis can lull some users into a false sense of security. If the hard drive where it resides becomes corrupted or fails, or if the secure zone is damaged the SRM will no longer work. That does not matter provided the user has kept a current copy the recovery CD. However this is not always the case.

The SRM modifies the MBR. This is not normally a problem. However if the user wants to revert to the original MBR by removing the SRM the only way provided is by means of deleting the Secure Zone and all its contents, inconvenient to say the least.

So as I regard each restore as a practice run for a major hard drive failure I always use the recovery CD and have never activated the SRM.

Xpilot

8. DwnNdrty

Kinda like putting all your eggs in one "fragile" basket, with a brick hanging over it. :D

9. sparkymachine

Ok, its nothing more than common sense then. May be its me but I can't imagine anyone totally relying on the SRM when its so easy to create the CD and use that when the SRM won't work for whatever reason:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.