Start Page after hijack

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by Nismo, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nismo

Nismo Registered Member

I had some Spyware that hijacked my start page in IE. Nothing would take it away. Well, I followed some registry removal steps online and it worked!

One of the steps was to change this value:
    If you FIND “Start Page” on XP regedit, they told me to change that value from the spyware file to “about:blank”. This would set it up for a blank start page. They also said to delete files in system32 and remove a couple more reg entries.

All is good, but I still can’t get a home page to stick. I tried editing the “Start Page” value from about:blank to www.google.com and it works for that browser session, but when you close all IE pages, wait a while and reload IE, it’s back to “about:blank” for the start page value.

How can I fix this?

2. Nismo

Nismo Registered Member

There are 2 user paths/start page values in 2000/XP. I edited one to google, but not the other one. Fixed for now.

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Nismo,

I've marked your other thread as [solved] since you said you fixed the problem:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=38937

But rather than start separate threads (which we would dearly appreciate you not do) could you please follow ALL the steps in this thread:
    HOW TO? Read here about how to post your log!!.

Then run Hijackthis by clicking on the Scan button. When the scan has finished, the "Scan" button will then change to a Save Log button. Press the "Save Log" button and save it to a location you can easily find it. Open the saved log and come back to this thread and copy and paste the entire contents of the log here in your next post.

Please do NOT fix anything in Hijackthis by yourself. Most of what it lists will be harmless and even essential. Someone will review your log and reply back with instructions on what needs to be fixed.

Regards,

snap

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.