Standalone XP Firewall for VPN connection?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hutchingsp, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

We run mainly Windows XP laptops with a few Vista. Like many companies we have Group Policies configured to do various things, and one of those is to control the inbuilt XP firewall so that:

When on the domain (Domain Profile) it's off
    When off the domain (Standard Profile) it's on

We're in the process of implementing a VPN and of course when you connect using the VPN you're on the network so the firewall switches off even though your laptop isn't physically in the safety of the office plugged into the LAN.

I'm looking at all options here, and it seems there isn't that much flexibility with the XP firewall so I'm wondering if there is anything out there that is free/cheap and very lightweight can can be enabled and disabled by a normal user i.e. if they want to connect using the VPN either they can launch the firewall first, or the VPN can potentially start the firewall itself.

Any suggestions welcome.

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

You could use ZoneAlarm Firewall (Free or Pro).
    Use the steps in this link (from ZA KB) to add VPN details. ZA will automatically handle apps using VPN and protect you when its off.

If you wanted a solution to deploy in Office, you may want to use Checkpoint End Security, which is basically the enterprise version of ZA.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.