Stalled File Oriented Drive Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by paulhand, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulhand

paulhand Registered Member

I have a corrupted file on my C drive which is not repaired by a Chkdsk. I'm using XP Home, SP2. An article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base recognizes the problem in XP and advises doing a backup excluding this file, reformatting the drive, then doing a restore. Excluding the file forces me to use a file oriented backup. I am using Acronis*True*Image*Home® version 9.0 (build*3,677). When I try to do this backup (about 13 GB) Acronis starts ok, then stalls part way through. This has happened during repeated tries. Once the process stalls, a "Cancel" fails and causes my computer to hang up which I can only solve with a reboot. I have two basic questions:

1. Is this a workable way to do a backup and restore which includes the operating system? I am concerned about files which are active or otherwise unavailable during the attempted backup during a file oriented backup. (I was able to do this backup using a trial version of another software program, and out of 67,668 files, 229 files were skipped. I would prefer to use Acronis because I have more faith in and experience with it providing I can get it to work :doubt: )

2. Any thoughts about what is causing the stall and what I can do about it.

Thanks.

2. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Greetings, Paul,

Unfortunately, I have no idea why your backup is stalling. But, perhaps, it's a good thing, since restoring a bootable partition using the Files & Folders program in TI is not recommended. Here's a link to a thread discussing the corrupt directories you are trying to clean up, and, in post # 10, cequi suggests what would be involved in doing a file level restore of a Windows system partition. Way over my head, and most likely, not for most users.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=145505

Your post does escalate the importance of this issue, since it is often no small matter to remove corrupted files, even using the tools Acronis offers us.

With luck, a solution will be found, so, stay tuned.

Regards,

Christopher

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.