SSM- possibe change in free version policy

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I think it would be a welcome change.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Me too.

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Normally we do'nt see even a handful of developers will accept users's suggestion in this regard. :thumb: to SSM.

5. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Me three. ;)

Mike

6. herbalist

herbalist Guest

The developers there have been more receptive to suggestions and bug reports than any other I've ever dealt with. They made it very enjoyable and rewarding to be a beta tester. How many companies can you send a bug report to and see it get fixed in under 2 days?

I can understand their reasons for such a decision. Concentrating on the most recent operating systems benefits the most people. Since XP (and soon enough Vista as well) have more holes in them than a pegboard, their users need all the support they can get.

As a Win98 user, I'm somewhat saddened to see support ending, but this isn't anywhere near as critical as it would be for the newer operating systems. The existing free version has no major bugs or issues on DOS based systems. It's a mature, finished product that will continue to be very effective for as long as 98 is internet compatible ranking up there with apps like Kerio 2.1.5. I hope that they continue to make the present free version available for the older systems, even if they aren't going to support it anymore. It doesn't really need ongoing support on these systems.

IMO, SSM free is the most powerful security app available for DOS based systems. When used with Kerio 2.1.5 and Proxomitron, it makes the 9X systems almost bulletproof, especially against the "planned obsolescense" policy of M$ and other software vendors.

Rick

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Well put, Rick.

I have two users who have Win98, are very happy, have never encountered a virus.

My only concern is that down the road , more new software will not be backward compatible to Win9x.

I've found this with one scanner. There are many alternatives, of course, but it means giving up your preferred brand, in some cases.

regards,

-rich

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Malware will be more and more incompatible with Win98. It's not supported :D

9. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

ROFLWPIMP (Rolling On Floor Laughing Whilst Peeing In My Pants) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mike

10. herbalist

herbalist Guest

LOL, I wouldn't exactly consider that a problem, unless you like testing your system with the real thing. I enjoy being able to go to sites that rip XP apart and coming out untouched.

98/ME users.
    SSM 2.0.0.584 does not work properly on 9X systems. Do not install it. 2.0.0.583 does. I've uploaded it here.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/33896092/ssm-2.0.8.583-free.exe.html
    Rick

11. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hats off to herbalist for sticking to his guns. And thanks for the SSM link, mighty generous i might add.

I am in the process of not only conditioning a couple of used hard drives for a brand new 98SE install but also Windows millineum. I will never part from them, and since old 98/me computers go for 25 dollars at my local yard sales, you can bet i WILL be making the most of them. Please, Rick, keep your 98 site up, i want to take on your method you list on that site to iron proof these systems and impliment the techniques into active on-line usage again.

Microsoft done themselves in by not revisiting them as well as turned millions to Linux, Unbuntu, etc. and they have only their ignorance to blame plus tons of lost revenue as well as vendors expansions.

Vista is mediocre at best and will remain that way no matter how many Service Packs they try to patch them with. They ignored the obvious, and in the end they will regret it.

Thank You System Safety Monitor for having the tech sense to support 98.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.