SSM Free stopped working / Question regarding CFP3

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by _ab, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Hi,

after installing SP3 for XP, SSM stopped working, claiming that there is a driver error. Reinstalling didn´t help, so i had to give it up. Using CFP3 anyway (D+ was turned off until now), i now decided to give the Defense+ a test (maybe it´s now on par with SSM Free, which wasn´t updated for quite a long time).

But i find one thing VERY irritating: while SSM was configured to give a warning, whenever some new program was about to be installed, there is not much of a warning when using CFP3 (currently with the "Train with safe" mode). I must say, even if i find CFP3 a good firewall, that the interface is quite annoying, for example, the descriptions of which mode makes what, is not very comprehensive.

So, is there a way to configure CFP3 in such a way, much like SSM, that every change in programs or every installing of any new program is clearly
    prompted prior to install? Otherwise i can´t imagine how CFP3 is supposed to prevent installation of malware or trojans or whatever.

Defense+ is currently set to monitor everything (all checkboxes on), so i expect it to behave differently.

Which of the modes has to be chosen to mimic the behaviour of SSM as close as possible?

Since i had to give up SSM, is CFP3 an adequate alternative? Or is it much worse? SSM doesn´t look like i can get it to run anymore.

thx for your opinions!

2. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Use paranoid mode (but be aware that Comodo monitors more thing that SSM, so you will receive more alerts)

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Did you post in the SSM forums? I can't imagine that SSM will not be made compatible with SP3. I still use ProcessGuard and it works fine with SP3 but I had other things not work well with SP3 so I reverted back to an earlier snapshot. I was not impressed by SP3 and do not plan to install it on my host machine until absolutely necessary.

4. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

"Train with safe mode" is like a learning mode. If D+ doenst need to learn anymore you should use the "Paranoid Mode" wich is like the default mode in other HIPS.

5. _ab

_ab Registered Member

yeah, thx :)

6. EricEgan

EricEgan Registered Member

SSM and CPF's Defense+ are both HIPS Programs. If you plan on using SSM then disable the Defense+ part of Comodo Firewall 3. In my opinion just use comodo. For the simple fact. Why run two HIPS programs at the same time? Why run two separate programs when they can be done with just one.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.