SSL filtering blocks Windows Update

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by pegas, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Just to report that enabled SSL filtering blocks Windows Update. Whole day I was getting 80072F8F when checking WU. Microsoft's KB was not of any help, so I googled the error and found out on one forum that I need to disable SSL filtering. I realized that I am having enabled "always SSL filtering" in ESS, so disabled it ... and... WU works. So ESS folks should take a look into that as I have never experienced such problem in the past. Maybe Microsoft deployed new certificates or ESS did some changes ...

Further progress ... I had to check option "ask for new web pages" instead of "always filtering" in SSL setting, then initiated WU and was asked to confirm or deny Microsoft certificate. I "allowed always" and now WU works again.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  2. a3_alin

a3_alin Registered Member

ssl scan blocks many staff... including firefox and thunderbird updates... So... Turn off...

3. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

This ^

4. pegas

pegas Registered Member

That's question ... I understand others may be plagued and it's annoying to have a security layer that doesn't work correctly, indeed. However in my case simple change of option in SSL settings did the trick. On the other hand, I am now getting a lot of certificates to be confirmed or denied but on the positive side I know at least what certificates are embedded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.