"SSDP Discovery Service" and "UPnP device" LAN

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ssanguszko, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssanguszko

ssanguszko Registered Member

Hello,

I have turned off UPnP with xpantispy, but I receive listed below alerts with my trial Outpost Security Suite. The IP's are from my ISP IP-pool, so they are not any oficial servers my applications might be linked with.

I guess this are malware/trojan activities from other computers in MAN. I have set in XpAntispy "hide my pc in network, limit access from the network" and anything like that to prevent from attacks. I do not use LAN printers etc. Those IPs are as I have said - foreign, but in my MAN /ISP area. Am I doing right by blocking this services to those IPs?

SVCHOST.EXE UDP static-193-253.xxxx.pl 1900 "SSDP Discovery Service" and "UPnP device Host" services 0 9 183

SVCHOST.EXE UDP static-193-73.xxxx.pl 50248 "SSDP Discovery Service" and "UPnP device Host" services 0 966

2. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

You didn't say what Windows you have, and I don't know what xpantispy is and what MAN is, so based on my guessing:

In Windows XP you can disable both of these windows services.
    UPnP depends on the SSDP service so disable UPnP first, SSDP second, like this
    Control panel, administrative tools, services.
    Find the service, Properties, Stop service, Apply, then in the Startup type box select disable.
    Then they won't bother you.

It is also possible, though I think unlikely, that UPnP is needed. So try the internet. If it works, you're done. If not then check with the ISP or reenable the services one at a time.

In addition to disabling the services, in case something enables them, Outpost blocks both when default rules are made, as far as I remember.

I'm not sure if xpantispy should run together with Outpost.

3. ssanguszko

ssanguszko Registered Member

Windows XP SP3.

I have XpantiSpy tested with many firewalls nad AV suites and no problems so far. It is quite useful when disabling unwanted services ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.