SSD Hard Drives - Opinions?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am thinking about building an Untangle Gateway Firewall for my Home Network. I am considering using a SSD Hard Drive rather than a 3.5" SATA Hard Drive. The reason for switching to a SSD Hard Drive: Better Reliability(?), since there are no moving parts.

Does anyone have any opinions on SSD Hard Drives? Are they really more reliable than mechanical hard drives? From some user feedback reviews I have read, it looks like I should not purchase any of the lower cost SSD's.

Thanks in Advance.

2. mjgent

mjgent Registered Member

I've been running a Mtron SLC 7000 ssd drive for almost a year in my workstation without any issues. For better ssd reliability with Untangle you could go for an SLC drive but I think you would do fine with a small Gen I or Gen II Intel MLC drives or a OCZ 30Gb Vertex MLC drive. It still seems kind of overkill to use an ssd for Untangle though but if you got the cash and ssd works with Untangle go for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.