SrWare Iron 7.0.520.0

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rules, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Well, there isn't any tracking stuff now. I maybe am a bit confused but I'm not trying to justify anything. Including kraut-bashing.

As far as I know SRWare Iron didn't claim to protect users from Google ads but merely offered a browser alternative that didn't have a RLZ identifier, clientID, timestamp, Google Updater automatic installation or Bug tracking system that sends information about crashes or errors. To which extent they succeeded.

Nope, I don't think that I'm the confused one. o_O

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

No surprise there.

A quick refresher on what SRWare actually claims:
    Instead of accusing others of hating Iron simply because it's European, you might want to start asking yourself why you're trying so hard to defend their dishonesty and hypocrisy just because you like the product.

3. Daveski17

'The browser is based on the Chromium-source and offers the same features as Chrome - but without the critical points that the privacy concern.

We could therefore create a browser with which you can now use the innovative features without worrying about your privacy. '

I'm sorry but which bit of that statement reads subtextually as 'we have Google ads on our page which therefore automatically means that we are mendacious hypocritical Eurotrash trying to scam Western civilisation'?

Please enlighten me on this.

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That has already been done numerous times. I'm not sure why you're trying to feign ignorance, but in case you're serious, try actually reading this thread.

5. Daveski17

Oh no! I've just checked their server location with Flagfox, it's in FRANCE!

Shock!!!! Horror!!! OMG ... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You are right, damn those despicable lying devious Eurokrauts, damn them all to hell!

*Meanwhile back on Planet Reality ... :rolleyes: *

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Not sure what you're trying to do, but if it's to confuse people with pure balderdash, it's working.

7. Daveski17

I'm not trying to confuse anyone. I just think that the way you are going you will need one of these soon!

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Really? Coming from someone who uses Iron, the "privacy-conscious" Chromium fork, that's really ironic. Pun not intended.

As for me, paranoia and the ability to recognize dishonesty are two very different things. Not for the first time, you're showing yourself to be quite confused about the issue at hand.

9. Daveski17

Not for the first time are you showing yourself to be quite patronising about the issue at hand.

Some bloke posts some rant about Iron being some form of uberscam & a lot of people who are so paranoid, that I don't know why they ever bother to even surf the Net, swallow it lock, stock & barrel.

Confused or not, I'm just not buying it.

If I were you, I would order the tin foil now, I reckon there will be a world tin shortage pretty soon! LOL

Mind you, the biggest deposits of tin in the world are supposedly in Cornwall. Let's hope that there isn't a real shortage or the US government might invade Cornwall to restore 'democracy' & 'protect' the tin deposits from international communism & terrorism.

I mean, there is no precedent for the US government doing anything like that, is there?

10. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Either you’re really confused, or you’re trying really hard to set up an entire army of straw men.

Nobody is “paranoid” about Iron. The mere suggestion itself is absurd, as there’s nothing to be paranoid about; people are just wising up about SRWare’s tricks and real motives. It’s also not “some bloke” who posted “some rant”. A Google developer posted a chat log from the Chromium IRC channel showing “Iron”’s unsavory incentives for forking Chromium, and the guy who ported Chromium to FreeBSD posted a source code comparison. Both of them did so non-anonymously.

Now I imagine you’re flattering yourself by thinking that you’re the independent-minded guy who’s not following the “sheep” who “swallowed” “these blokes’” “rants” “lock, stock and barrel”. The sad truth is that you’re simply making an emotional decision to ignore the facts simply because you’re in love with Iron. If anyone here has swallowed anything lock, stock and barrel, it's you.

Oh, wow. Really? I mean, are you really serious, or was that just a lame attempt at a joke?

I guess it’s a good thing all that tin is right at where it’s needed the most.

11. Daveski17

Dude, you are really deluding yourself. I haven't even started with the straw men, I just don't buy SRWare as being as mendacious as you seem to think they are. As David Hume argued 'you are inferring too much from the available facts'.

World domination right?

Yeah, & their motives are totally beyond question?

Now you're getting it! Bloody well done.

The sad truth is that I'm not paranoid as (expletive). Also, you are again inferring too much from the facts. How do you know that I'm in 'love' with Iron? You know what Shakespeare said about love, right? ~ "A madness most discreet"

I think that you & the rest of the Marvin the Paranoid Androids are reading far too much into this supposed exposé of SRWare Iron.

A joke? More like a probability the way things are happening in the 21st century.

12. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Sorry, but the only delusion sufferers here are those who choose to protect themselves from the debilitating effects of the inconvenient truth by accusing all others of paranoia. I guess it’s the latest new-fangled fashionable buzzword to throw around these days: “I'm the logical thinker, you’re paranoid!”

The motives of the men who revealed the truth are hardly the issue, it's just a poor diversionary tactic from you. Feel free to inspect the IRC chat log and compare the source codes to verify the authenticity of their claims. But given how averse you seem to be to facts, I doubt you're going to do that.

As for comments about world domination and the US invading Europe for tin, if the straw man army and paranoia weren’t already galloping along at a healthy pace before, they’re certainly more or less in full swing by now. Suffice to say that you’ve sunk to such pathetic levels of absurdity in your desperate defense of SRWare that it’s probably futile to try to continue talking logically to you.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  13. Daveski17

As I suspected, you have absolutely no sense of humour. I'm just not buying the idea that SRWare Iron is some kind of scam because they have Google adverts on their page.

It would be a scam if the browser was full of malware or they made you pay for it.

You have straw men on the brain.

SRWare Iron released a browser with features that were not included originally in Google Chrome.

I'm not the paranoid one here.

I can't speak for the straw blokes though ...

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Again, that depends on how you define "scam". If you think it's only limited to malware or making users pay for it, then it's not a scam. If you widen the definition to include dishonesty, where SRWare tries to play on people's fear of Google's privacy intrusions and at the same time foist Google ads and cookies on them, then yes, Iron is a "scam". Iron provides no more privacy than Chrome does, it's not a "privacy-conscious" fork, that's just propaganda by SRWare to attract the anti-Google paranoid users.

Like I said, if it doesn't bother you, then it doesn't. Their product is quite functional, by all accounts. But please don't try to defend SRWare's dishonesty and pretend their motives are pure; it's a futile effort, and it only makes you as dishonest as they are.

15. Daveski17

Again, you really need to read some David Hume about inference. So what if they 'foisted' Google ads & cookies on people. How many people do this anyway?

For fork's sake, they released a browser claiming that it didn't have certain elements that Chrome had. I have already listed these:

RLZ identifier, an encoded string sent together with all queries to Google[10] or once every 24 hours.
    Does not access Google search on startup for users with Google as default search[11][12]
    A unique ID ("clientID") for identifying the user in logs.
    A timestamp of when the browser was installed.
    Google-hosted error pages when a server is not present
    Google Updater automatic installation.
    DNS pre-fetching, because it could perhaps be used by spammers[13].
    Automatic address bar search suggestions.
    Bug tracking system, sends information. ~ Wikipedia

It did what it said on the box. The fact that they have Google adverts on their site doesn't seem to be an issue to me. Maybe they need the money. How many other sites have Google ads?

Google aren't very popular in Germany, maybe it was a cultural thing, I don't know. I just don't see where they are being so dishonest.

IMHO you are making a mountain out of a molehill over this.

Do I feel 'scammed' because Iron's page may have left Google cookies in my PC? No.

Anyway, I have Ghostery, but many think that is a scam as well.

I'm just not buying this whole 'scam' thing with SRWare.

16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Again, you really need to read my post. How many other sites attempt to establish their product and/or service by playing on people's fears of Google? If you don't claim to protect the user from Google's alleged privacy intrusions in the first place, then there's nothing wrong with foisting Google ads and cookies on them. This isn't the case with Iron.

*sigh* Wrong, and not for the first time. Try reading the Iron product page, then you might find out what they're really claiming.

Not really, I'm just stating some simple facts.

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Secunia here lists SRWare Iron 1.x, SRWare Iron 4.x, and SRWare Iron 6.x

I'm really enthused about this one since Secunia has not managed to find any vulnerabilities in any of its three releases, 1.x, 4.x, and 6.x!

This is just fantastic. Talk about perfection! SRWare you just got yourself one more loyal fan.

Slightly OT, but does SRWare have just the one software product or are there others? I'm sure they'll be just as excellent as Iron. And does anyone know if the equity of SRWare is listed anywhere in the world?

18. Daveski17

You really are reading way too much into what SRWare stated on their page. Iron isn't actually a scam.

Simple fact.

19. Daveski17

The scam starts to take over the world ...

OH NO! :eek:

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I switched to Chrome, simply because new Iron does not have the plug-ins like flash and the PDF reader. Chromium also lacks those plug-ins. Unless this is something only happening on my PC, this could be a strategy of Google to show the added value of Chrome (compared to Chromium clones like Iron and ChromePlus).

Sandboxing of the plug-ins is something which is unique to Chrome. Other browsers might offer these features in 2012 or later. WIth Google gearing up the releases, it will be hard for other browsers to keep up with the innovations.

Regards Kees

21. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That's simply laughable. First you start off with an incorrect assertion of what SRWare claims. When it's pointed out that you were wrong, you turn around and say that I'm reading too much into what SRWare says. Maybe the text on Iron's home page is written in some special top secret magic code that only you are qualified to properly decipher and understand. :rolleyes:

What a waste of time.

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm 100% serious. I've given 100% genuine links to Secunia's site. Dead serious. Iron is 100% flawless (security-wise). Scam? Wot scam? :blink:

23. Daveski17

What a waste of time.

Dude, step away from the cooking sherry ...

24. Daveski17

I didn't realise that Secunia were part of the alleged scam. Just because Secunia haven't found any problems doesn't mean to say that there aren't any.

25. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Man, that's really pathetic.

SRWare's dishonesty relates only to its promises of protecting users from Google's "privacy intrusions", and nothing else - at least so far. You've failed to refute that using reason, so you think you'll have better luck with arguing the issue based on false premises and acting like a petulant fanboy?

Seriously, grow up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.