SpywareTerminator Forum Appears to be hacked

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Tarq57, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Got a suspicious email, purporting to be from forums@spywareterminator. Text reads:
    Sure enough, attempting to connect to ST forum (after taking suitable browser-related precautions) redirects to netdevilz.
    Since precautions were taken, I have no idea if there are any exploits attempting to run from this page. That I shall leave to the experts. It seems somewhat likely, though.
    (Also posted in "Other anti-malware software".)

2. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Ditto here. Have not noticed anything strange yet (KIS 7 & ProSecurity running here) but will probably initiate a full system scan later just to check.

HAs anyone advised Crawler that this is happening?

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

At this moment in time no. They are simply re-directing those that visit the forum to the netdevilz site without any delay(content='0)....by using http-equiv as part of the HTML META Tags that is placed in the SpywareTerminator Forums html code. However they could conceivably change the content-type to something other than url.

update:

It appears to only be on page one of the forum and a thread has been created on the forum concerning this matter.

Being cautious for awhile would still be prudent IMHO in visiting that site .

http://forum.spywareterminator.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=3036

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  4. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I too just received the same email from spywareterminator, which is rather strange since I used it for a few days a long time ago and never before received an email from them.

5. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Was it some person calling themselves "alone"? I got a pm on the ST forums from him, which I suppose may have done something if I used IE, in firefox it did nothing... and I got an email from him, the link therein also did nothing in firefox... in IE it downloaded a file called a.js
    I have no idea what that file does, as I saved rather than ran it.
    Vtotal pronounced it clean, Avira is yet to get back to me...

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

If some group was successful in hacking the forums, whats the chances they could also hack the server which serves the downloads for ST?

Anyone?

Fair question i think.

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I thought a fair question, too. I actually disabled auto updates for ST, just in case, but to tell the truth feel slightly silly about it, now. Different application, totally. The forums are "Yet Another Forum" which, apparently, is somewhat vulnerable to this. I'm pretty certain the application server has nothing to do with it.

[edit] BTW, all seems normal, now.

8. Tokar

Tokar Registered Member

It appears that it was a simple exploit hack which exploits a vulnerability in older versions of YetAnotherForum.net board software. Everything is fixed for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.