SpywareSweeper, Spyware Doctor, SuperAnti Spyware:

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SG1, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Am using current/paid ver. of SpywareSweeper (but doodling with trial ver. of PC Tools' Spyware Dr., partly as I also have their Registry Mechanic).

Spyware Dr. seems, favorably in my eyes, more "subdued" than does SpywareSweeper: no constant alerts if a trusted app like MruBlaster or Ajax Util. is set to run, or being told I've added a bookmark in IE which I seldom use.

SpywareSweeper's a slowloading kludge of an app, & it claims over 45,000 threats it "protected" this PC from. Well, yeah, it's asked me that many times via an "Alert" it seems, after running just even MruBlaster, for the love of Mike!

Maybe my settings are wrong, but, shouldn't this app have database (internally) and when it's been told that this app, starting from here or there (if, say, I shuffle StartUps via the registry), that the trusted program is still the same, and still trusted?

I know Webroot loves bragging about the awards: but, friend of mine who beta tested their stuff (and many an app) gave it up, saying the co. didn't even tell testers that this or that bug was fixed, etc. (Yes, that was concerning a past ver., & I don't know about present Beta of SS).

He, in fact told me about SuperAntiSpyware just the other day, which I confess I don't recall hearing about before. I then recently read quite a bit of favorable stuff about it here where I always come to as a trusted source of help and info. So, I wondered this...

With these three programs, in my above subject line, what's the overall take or consensus on any one app or all three in general? I ask in part as SuperAntiSpyware seems to make big claims about doing what the others don't/can't do, yet, and I don't say that unkindly. Perhaps the app does indeed do "all that" and more, as far as I know.

Downloaded SuperAntiSpyware Pro trial ver., but have not installed it yet, as here's my main concern/question: if I normally run SpywareSweeper and (trial ver. of) Spyware Dr. just now and then, ah... at what point might there be "big trouble in little China" if I try out yet another app like SuperAntiSpyware? Is it wisest to disable the other two apps, before installing the new trial program? Or, does one try it and just see how many similar apps may/may not overlap and may or may not cause trouble, on one's particular PC setup?

Pardon the long post, but thanks for any thoughts on the above,
    SG1 (Pat)

* A guy who had three realtime AVs running for quite a while on this PC (and it worked fine, believe it or not). Of course, don't know what could've happened if all 3 AVs jumped something at once... But, the point is, in part, that I love to try/buy apps, and try to keep up on best-latest security programs. A weakness, I know, but sometimes I get overly enthused about (the security angle of) things...

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Each AS scanner has its own definition database and they are all DIFFERENT in quantity and fingerprints.
    Grosso modo they all scan for the same threats and only the small or big differences makes them special.
    So the safest solution is to run all of them : what one AS scanner doesn't find, could be found by another AS scanner.
    In theory, even the smallest AS scanner can find a threat, that wasn't found by the biggest AS scanners.
    Of course running all AS scanners is quite an expensive and time-consuming solution, that's why I'm thinking of an alternative solution, because I'm not a big fan of scanners in general.

I really wonder how people evaluate an AS scanner if they don't compare the fingerprints of each AS scanner with other AS scanners, which is of course an almost impossible job considering the large number of fingerprints.
    Which AS scanner is the best or which AS scanner is better than another one is just a matter of guessing IMO and leads to ENDLESS discussions and opinions.
    Personally I don't trust any of these opinions and I don't see much scientific proof either for AS scanners.

AV scanners have at least the av-comparatives as a more or less scientific proof for which AV scanners are better than others.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The person who did it- if just for fun and play or something like taht, then it,s ok, but if he did for security reasons, then I can say he is psychic. Tell him not to use PC.

BTW, I use SuperAntispyware free on-demand scanner and it seems good. I don,t use any antispyware in real time as i do safe surfing that is more imp than an antispyware scanner. More than 90% of spyware don,t come themselves, they are broght by the users themselves and co antispyware/ antispywares( 2 or even three) gives u as mich protection as obtained by dafe surfing.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I find Spysweeper too intrusive, and always opening when I open some other application. For that reason I do not use it. It also prevented UnHackMe from checking. It may be the greatest protection, but too much trouble in my view.

I installed a copy of the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware (SAS), and like it so far. I have been using Counterspy as an on-demand only application, and will use SAS the same.

None ever find anything, and I am not sure they are necessary. I do also have Ewido, Spyware Guard, and Spyware Blaster.

Jerry

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I must say neither. But if I had to choose, Spy Sweeper.
    Mrk

6. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I purchased Spyware Doctor. I ran it for a while... but it consumed too many resources. I was also getting tired off all the pop-ups "Up-date is available, do you want to up-date now?" Can't recall if there is an auto up-date that doesn't asko_O So, I tried ewido. I'm very happy w/ this. I realize this is also not a lightweight app, but it seems like it is. At least lighter than SWD. I run ewido as resident and I still scan w/ SWD about twice a month.

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.