Spywareinfo and Computercops...are they down?

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by DryRun, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DryRun

DryRun Registered Member

For over two hours now I have been unable to connect to Spywareinfo or Computercops. Is anyone else having this problem or am I the only one?

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi DryRun,

Lots of people are having trouble with SpywareInfo, but I posted at Computercops minutes ago.

Did you check your hosts file?

Regards,

Pieter

3. DryRun

DryRun Registered Member

I just got connected to Computercops, so I guess I am in the same boat as everyone else. Thanks for the reply.

4. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi DryRun - you're not alone with being unable to connect to SpywareInfo. I wasn't able to up until a yesterday when I could connect for a few hours, then it went down for me again. I still cannot get there yet.

Hopefully it will resolve itself soon. It must be something on the route to the new server that is being blocked. But it isn't you. :)

HTH

snap

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Same boat here! ;) :mad:

snowbound

6. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Spywareinfo.com is under a massive distributed denial of service attack. My hosting service is working to filter out the attacking IP addresses but they're coming from all over the world at the moment.

Spywareinfo.com, spywareinfo.net, spywareinfo.org, tomcoyote.org, merijn.org, malware.us, mikehealan.com and dogreader.com are off the net until the attack is blocked.

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

8. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Oh Mike, I am so sorry to hear that. :oops:

Will keep our fingers crossed all works out and your server gets through this ok.

9. MI Guy

MI Guy Guest

I guess some Advertising Company doesn't want you passing out good information on how to identify all the crap that gets on computers without our knowledge. :-(

Good Luck in identifying the culprits and getting back online and operational.

10. da cat

da cat Registered Member

Mike..hope everything works out fine. This sucks o_O

da cat

11. scatteredminds

scatteredminds Registered Member

I can't log onto Tom Coyote or merijn.org ? Anyone else.

:blink:Sorry folks- I just read Mike's post :doubt: Note the name "scatteredminds"

12. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

Mike;

The attack on your site is a testament to the value of the service you provide to the internet community. Consider it a form of flattery.

Doug

13. little eagle

little eagle Registered Member

yes it is :)go get them Mike&Merjin :mad:

14. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Yep, the support troops are behind the vanguard! Good luck, guys! May the whites trounce the blacks!

15. srfox

srfox Registered Member

yeah, I just posted elsewhere on board and got directed here. I really hope you can not only stop the attack, but get the Dogs who unleashed it.
    [glow=red,2,300]GO GET THEM![/glow]

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Came right in time with that beautiful courageous siberian husky (cyberhuskey) together with Mike's pixel puppy - go go go get them!

17. little eagle

They seam to be back up and moving slow.Hope they can get the guy's or gal's that di it :mad: that was a really low blow :mad:

18. Guest Nancy

Guest Nancy Guest

I'm new to this whole counter-ex community, and i'm curious. Who is behind the attack?

Well obviously, the creators and distributors of spyware, but who is that? Commercial interests? The ppl whose popups clog our computers? Can you give us some brand-names to boycott and write angry letters to?

If this attack succeeds... i dont even want to think about it.

Mike, Tom, et al... You are the good guys! Dont let them get away with it!

-- A Big Fan

19. srfox

srfox Registered Member

I'm not a professional in this area, but I would think, that the money comes from the spamming interests and this obviously took some doing to plan and execute. So if you want boycott someone, I suggest that someone put up a list on a seperate topic of those companies known to use these intrusion advertising methods. In otherwords any company that hires any of the blacklisted spammers for popups or junk mail.

20. Jacee

Jacee Spyware Fighter

Hi all, I'm new here.... but not new to eradicating spyware/adware and malware...

I'm a forum member of TC and in the 'class' learning about HijackThis and a moderator at PCPitstop.

I finally found out what was happening to all the other forums that I visit and 'rely' on through this one. Thanks for letting the rest of us know what is going on! Truly appreciated :)

There is a 'mirror' link to HJT if anyone needs it. I'll put it up if so needed...I don't want to step on anyone's toes, just trying to help get rid of the "nasties" out there.

21. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Jacee,

Hopefully, the trouble will soon be over and Mike will get everything online again. :)

It's terrible what's happened. I wish there was a way to prevent such things!!

In any case, I'm glad you got the information you needed...

Best Wishes!
    *puppy*

22. scatteredminds

scatteredminds Registered Member

All the best Mike, Tom, Merijn. The cowards who have attacked you are attacking thousands and thousands of users of your sites.

"Fundamentally the marksman aims at himself." Zen and the Art of Archery

23. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

I for one am pretty sure Mike's server (and he does host Tom Wilson/Coyote and Merijn as well on the same server) will be up and running - merely a matter of time.

As for the DdOS attack: this is a risk that comes with the territory, and if massive enough coming from numerous different sources, there's fairly no way to handle it or track down the culprit. One has to sit it out, and keep fingers crossed it won't start all over again. The host might be able to put some filters up, but most of the times this isn't sufficient. Years ago, we've encountered such an attack for seven days in a row attacking our wilders.org domain, coming with massive mailbombing as well. It's no fun at all.

AS for the most probable reasons for this attack on Healan's server: there are parties involved having hugh commercial interests. At least some of them are rather unhappy with their products being exposed/targetted. Money is the main issue here IMO. It's for that same reason several domains are blacklisted by at least one of those companies - including the ones down now - and ours as well for that matter.

All in all, this looks like an everlasting battle. Those who are sceptical will believe the big bucks will win in the end. Optimists do believe loosing one battle is by no means loosing the war ;)

regards,

paul

24. little eagle

:eek:way could i get in yesterday and to day i see nothing :doubt:was it just a slow down in the attack o_O

25. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Obviously it's not over yet - and take into account it can start up massively any time once again.

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.