spywareguard

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by KYN, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KYN

KYN Registered Member

I'm having serious problems with Spywareguard. When I try to remove spywarequard I get a message saying that spywaregaurd unninstall has detected that spywareguard is currently running. The window suggests that I close all instances of spywareguard and then continue. But the reason why I'm trying to remove it in the first place is that I can't get any part of spywareguard to work. The popup window tells me to double click on the red SG in the system tray, choose exit from the file menu and press yes on the resulting menu. But the program isn't functioning in the first place and there is no red SG in my system tray. Furthermore, when I double click on any red SG icon nothing happens. So I removed the program from the control panel but that didn't do anything other than remove it from my program list. The program still exists in my program files folder and the icons are still on my desktop. I can't reinstall it either becuase I get the same popup window telling me to close all instances of the program. Can anybody helpo_O

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You can disable SpywareGuard manually using the registry file below. Right click on this link and save a copy to your PC (Save Target As...):

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachments/sg22-remove-hook.reg

When you have that file, double-click it and allow it to merge into the registry. What that will do is remove the main protection that's hooked into Windows Explorer by SpywareGuard. You then have to reboot your system. When your PC starts up, SpywareGuard will start up disabled, so you can go into the Task Manager (Ctrl Alt Del) and kill the two SpywareGuard processes: "sgmain" and "sgbhp".

You ought to be able to run the uninstaller once you've done these steps.

At that point, if there is no uninstall option in Add/Remove Programs, then look in the main SpywareGuard folder (usually C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard ), there you should have this file: unins000.exe

Just double-click that and it should uninstall.

3. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

i just used the add remove to uninstall. it leaves the folder and 3 files behind go to that folder and open it rename the files to whatever and delete them then once gone back out and delete the folder. thats what i did and it worked. cause i had downloaded the guard prg but it gives me a error occured while downloading. updates.

4. Michhala

Michhala Registered Member

I installed Spyware Blaster last night and tonight I installed minimum download of Spyware Guard. I decided I did not want it at this time and proceeded to uninstall.

Methinks I goofed. I closed the icon in the systray and uninstalled through Add/Remove. When the uninstall was finished, I was prompted that not all files were deleted and to remove manually. I was able to delete everything but spyware guard.dll. Renaming did not help; a cut and paste to floppy did not work either. I moved it to desktop to see if I could delete it there, and finally moved the file back to the Spyware Guard folder to await deletion. This is the error messsage I received: Cannot delete: Acces is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

I still have some of the files I deleted in the recycle bin: dtbdata1backup.dtb; dtbdata2backup.dtb; dlprotect.dll. I tried restoring these files to see if that would make any difference, but it did not.

I do not see the unins000.exe in the recycle bin or anything in the Task Manager related to Spyware Guard. These files must have been removed by Add/Remove uninstall. I downloaded the registry file but am afraid to merge it with the Registry with just one file remaining.

Help will be most appreciated.

Miki
    Dell Dimension 8250
    Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
    Windows XP (SP1)
    512 MB RDRAM
    80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
    AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized

5. scott lang

i got that same error message. after it let me delete what it would i was stuck with the same file left and the same error message and what i did was reboot then go back to the folder and rename that last file and delete it. then back out and do the folder too. all gone.

6. Michhala

Michhala Registered Member

Scott -- thank you....thank you.....for your second post. I had already renamed the file with no luck before reading your first post -- so I did not read that post as carefully as I should. I had renamed the file and just tried to delete without rebooting. Your second post had my full attention -- I renamed the file back to its original name; rebooted; then renamed the file to "old" and deleted........it's gone. I thought I was dealing with an orphaned file which can be a problem to delete.

You made my day!

Miki

7. scott lang

no problem glad to help you out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.