SpywareGuard SetupType

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by pow, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pow

pow Registered Member

Hi,

I'm about to download SpywareGuard, what setup type should I use? Minimal or Full setup? What is the difference between them?

I am a new user and my system is running on XP Pro SP2.

Thanks.

2. pow

pow Registered Member

Just downloaded and installed SpywareGuard minimal and SpywareBlaster. They work fine.

My friend's home page has been hijacked weeks ago. Should I suggest him to install both SG and SB before his problem is solved? Will it help?

Thanks.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I always do the full setup, I have done the minimal before and ended up having to go to the javacool site to get a file to make spywareguard run. It would probably be better if you could install them on a clean system if possible.

bigc

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi pow,

As Bigc mentioned, the full setup kit assures that the install will work. The idea with the minimum setup was that XP users who already had all the Visual Basic modules installed (which is the default for XP) would just get the specific Javacool programs, saving download time. But, if it works fine for you, then you had all the prerequisite software already.

As to your friend, well the answer could be more complex than just using these two tools. Yes, SpywareBlaster will stop a lot of malicious ActiveX based spyware items from running and block many known malicious spyware websites in IE, but it does not stop all spyware of all types. SpywareGuard will alert a user to when their assigned IE pages change without their approval, but it also does not prevent all of the newer and more dangerous hijackers and spyware out there.

These two programs are part of a layered defense, which should include powerful anti-virus, anti-trojan, firewall and other protection software. But if your friend's system is already infected by a dangerous hijacker, then it may need to be cleaned first, by posting a HijackThis log for review at an appropriate forum.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42148

5. pow

pow Registered Member

Thanks for your reply.

This morning I was able to logon to the internet, but nothing worked --- Outlook Express, MSN, IE and Updates for SG/SB. It seems I have no internet connection at all although it was connected.

I got nothing changed to my system except the installations of SG yesterday, I just guessed whether it is because of the installation of SG Minimal, so I removed it from Add/Remove Programs, then reboot.

After that, I was able to do everything on internet.

My questions now are:

(1) is the issue caused by using the Minimal setup type?

(2) on removing SG Minimal, it said that some components will not be removed but can do it manually. So I went check Program Files and can see there is still a SG folder with 5 files in it. Should I delete the whole folder to have a clean uninstall?

(3) as I really like the SG protection, shall I install the SG Full Setup instead? If yes, do I need to delete the above-mentioned folder?

Thanks!

6. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello pow,

Welcome to Wilders!!!

It should not have any effect on your internet connection whichever setup you use.

Yes, delete the entire folder.

I would try the full setup after deleting the folder.

HTH....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.