SpywareGuard Running, But Will Not Open

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Braind, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Braind

Braind Registered Member

I have a HP Media Center PC, Model #m385c, running Windows XP Media Center.

I have the latest version of SpywareGuard (just downloaded & installed today).

My Process Manager says that SpywareGuard is running on my PC, but I can NOT open it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled this several times and always get the same results.

How do I fix this?

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Javacool will know better than I Braind but do you mean the SG icon in the sys. tray won't open when you 'right click' on it ? or do you mean you don't have a SG icon in the sys. tray ?

3. Braind

Braind Registered Member

I don't have the SG icon in the tray.
    I have to go into All Programs to get to SG and then try to open it because I don't have any icons.

But, now that you mention it, you got me thinking.
    Recently , I get this whenever I reboot my PC:

Explorer.Exe Application Error
    The instruction at "0x7342611a" referenced memory at "0x7342611a".
    The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program

-----

At this point, I can see all the desk top icons and the task bar, including the language bar sign on it. But, once I click on "OK", all the icons on the desk top screen and the task bar itself disappear for like 30 seconds, and when they reappear, they do so without the language bar (maybe others are also missing). I had already clicked on "show language bar" so that it should show it on the task bar all the time.

On the other hand, when I click on "CANCEL", it would soon show the "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger" sign which basically asks to send the information to Microsoft because they couldn't really debug. There is also "debug" button on it. If I click on it, the cursor will freeze for more than 10-15 minutes (after that, I gave up and restarted the computer via Windows Task Manager). If I click on "don't send the report", then the same with above -- all the icons on the desk top screen and the task bar itself disappear for a while and when they reappear, the language bar is not there.

I also get a Program /server is busy error message right after the 0x7342611a error message. I am asked to choose either switch or retry. Usually hitting the switch button works and my PC boots up; other times it doesn't (Retry doesn't work at all) and I need to shut down my PC and reboot up again.

This could be the root of the SG problem as well.

4. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Exactly, the real problem will be what's causing the above, probably not SG.

Just a check with you Braind, because of what I have copped by 'Needing' too many
    security Apps. - Each time you tried installing SG did you close down\Exit your screensaver and ALL other Apps., via Process Explorer or other, especially the security Apps. ?

You get the above 'ref. mem.' sentences when you Reboot, I get them when closing down re. a Threatfire app. error.

5. Braind

Braind Registered Member

No, when I installed SG, I just did the install, then used "Set Program Access and Defaults" to uninstall and then reinstall SG; rebooting each time.

The Error Messages were a problem BEFORE I had the issue with SG.

6. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Your version of XP with that, "Set Program Access and Defaults", which I'm not familiar with, might bypass the need to close all Apps. first ?

I must close all before installing anything new on my XP, but I do keep Zsoft open
    while installing anything, it's the exception, to analyse and monitor closely every file that's being installed, just in case I don't like whatever I installed and need to uninstall.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. Braind

Braind Registered Member

Thanks, I didn't get notified about the other post, even though I checked the box for email notification, so I didn't know about that new posting.

I gave a reply to that new post now. Thanks again.

9. Braind

Braind Registered Member

Micro,

I was always told to use Set Program Access and Defaults to do any/all uninstalling by other PC techs, so that is what I have always done.
    I don't even know how to uninstall the way you describe how you do uninstalling.
    I am not sure if my method of uninstalling does all the things your method does.

10. Braind

Braind Registered Member

Okay, now things are getting strange.
    I used the Restore function again and chose 2/22/10 as my restore point.
    Well, Restore did its job and everything worked, the SG icon even popped up in my bottom tool bar!
    Then, I rebooted again and the same error message happened again, the SG icon was gone, etc.

So, if I use Restore and never reboot (or use Restore after every reboot), my PC will be fine! Strange, very strange. Does this latest development prove that malware/spyware is NOT the problem or the opposite?

11. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Braind - I was referring to when Installing SG rather than Uninstalling see
    post #4 and #6.

Seeing your last post I am wondering if you checked your machine first
    with security Apps. - one of the best Freeware, or Pay, is Malwarebytes.
    It can usually find Malware.

12. Braind

Braind Registered Member

Hi Micro,

Yes, I have tried Malwarebytes, WISE (Webroot Internet Security Essentials), Ad-Aware by Lavasoft (free version), SuperAntispyware, scans, as well as others. No virus or malware was found.

I really think the Reimage "Repair" did something to my PC that is causing this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.