SpywareGuard - how out of date is it???

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Think-eDesign, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Think-eDesign

Think-eDesign Registered Member

Hi all,

Just an observation but I have downloaded & installed SpywareGuard from the Javacool web site today for a home use customer. http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

I must say that we were both rather unimpressed with the fact that SpywareGuard identifies itself as Help > About > version 2.2.0 copyright 2002/2003

As if that is not bad enough the definitions date is: 1/22/04

I clicked "Live Update" but it said that I have the latest definitions o_O

The latest definitions? Over two & half years old?

Why would the makers of SpywareBlaster - a program that does update fine & for which new definitions are always coming out - leave what can only be seen as a dying "legacy" program on their site?

It is not a way to inspire confidence in their product range that is for sure.

2. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

This topic crops up nearly every week. The programme works by heuristics and not by a definition database and therefore is a very useful programme to have, particularly if you use Internet Explorer. The latest 'definitions' is as you say 22/1/04.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok I know this but have anybody put it to the tests or experienced any actions by this- how useful it is?

4. Think-eDesign

Think-eDesign Registered Member

Fair enough. Just seems to be very old for a "definitions" date though. It makes the program "look" old particularly when you tell it to update & the customer is looking over your shoulder.

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

That's pretty frustrating yes, but for the customer who thinks: hey this guy is installing software on my machine which he doesn't know about :(

Gerard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.