Spywareguard doesn't silently block

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by driver, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello:
    I have Windows XP home edition and my ISP is Net Zero.
    Net Zero has a kind of corny proprietary set up that uses Internet Explorer. Recently they've gone over to the Yahoo search engine which I don't like. I want google to be my default search engine and I want to use the google toolbar. When I download google spywareguard alerts me of the various changes that have been made and I allow them. However the next time I reboot net zero changes it back to Yahoo. I select spywareguard to silently block but it doesn't silently block and still alerts me of the changes. This happens again and again. Why? I also have SpywareBlaster both are up-to-date and of the latest version.
    The other thing I notice are two cookies which are not blocked. These are zedo and double-click.net. I finally figured out how to block these manually using privacy in Internet options and configuring to allow first party cookies and prompt for third party cookies but it would be a lot nicer if Spywareguard or SpywareBlaster could do it.
    In the event that spywareguard can't block my ISP from forcing me to use Yahoo search engine can anyone help me with how to do this manually?
    I just thought I'd ad that I used to use Adaware way back when it was a very small program and actually blocked spyware cookies and used very little system resources. I actually paid for this program and was very upset when they changed their setup and turned it into the bloated gas hog it is now. At present I consider spywareguard and SpywareBlaster as the best spyware solution going.
    Thanks for your time

Last edited: May 8, 2004
  2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Do you happen to be using Spybot S&D also? Several times previously people have thought that SpywareGuard was "not being silent" while it was Spybot which was issuing warnings as it had not been set to block silently.

3. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello:
    Thank you for your response but no at present Spywareguard and SpywareBlaster are the only protection I use for spyware. I do have Adaware installed but it's the free version and I use it as a back up.
    At present I'm wondering if I should uninstall and reinstall spywareguard.
    Thanks for your time.
    Also because of the proprietary nature of the login for Net Zero I'm wondering if they have anyway of somehow bypassing Spywareguard?

Last edited: May 8, 2004
  4. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello:
    I really need an answer as my ISP is not very responsive. In Spywareguard I select silently block does this then mean that spywareguard blocks any changes without notifying me? If this is the case then it's not working or my ISP has some way of getting around Spywareguard. Is there any way to prevent my ISP from forcing me to have the Yahoo search engine?
    Thanks for your time

5. driver

driver Registered Member

PLEASE HELP, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Sorry about lack of responses to date!

Anyway, setting to block silently should indeed cause SpywareGuard to block the nasties without saying anything to you. I don't understand why it still would; does the notification actually say "SpywareGuard....somethingsomething" or..?

7. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Spyware guard will block known baddies silently from installing

It will alwys pop up and warn when a BHO is changed

now yahoo search and google search both use bho's to direct to the search engine

yahoo search is not a baddie and wouldn't ever be automatically blocked by SG, but you can use the clsid add method and block any bho being installed you want

post a hijack this log and we'll check what's happening and advise further when we see the log

go to http://www.thespykiller.co.uk and download 'Hijack This!'.
    make sure it is placed into it's own folder, not a temporary folder. Then doubleclick the Hijackthis.exe.
    Click the "Scan" button, when the scan is finished the scan button will become "Save Log" click that and save the log.
    Go to where you saved the log and click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" then Paste the log back here in a reply.
    It will possibly show issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required,
    so do NOT fix anything yet.
    Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

8. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello:
    Yes the window is definitely from Spywareguard.
    First I want to say I'm a little disappointed that it took so long to get a response. I have in the meantime tracked down the problem. I also want to say that I appreciate the fact that the programs you offer are free so this is not really a complaint. I would like to donate but I have the unfortunate experience of donating and then having the service go South. Don't get me started about Adaware what a program it used to be.
    Now to my problem I have discovered that my ISP uses a proprietary dialer without which you can't log on (it does not work in the usual Windows connection wizard )so that every time you log on it checks to see that everything the ISP has determined you need is present and if not it reinstalls it. Now from you I understand the difference between malware and good programs and how Spywareguard handles both. Which brings me to this point to ask the question is there a web site that gives a more thorough description of exactly the descriptions and directions for Spywareguard?
    Spywareguard and SpywareBlaster have failed 2 detect or block these items Zedo, double-click.net, one ALEXA variant and 5 DSO exploits. These were found by the newly improved Spybot. For me Spybot had become onerous to use and I had uninstalled it but was forced to use it and glad I did. I really appreciate the size and effectiveness of both Spywareguard and SpywareBlaster. Both are brilliant in design and effectiveness. I have one suggestion. Would it be possible to have Spywareguard startup when the browser opens as opposed to system start?
    Thanks for your time

Last edited: May 11, 2004
  9. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello again:
    I found something quite interesting. Go to Internet options in Internet Explorer click privacy then advanced then allow first party cookies and session cookies and block third party cookies. I've only been trying this for a couple of days as it was just an idea of my own but it really seems to be working out well. Originally I had done the above but set third party cookies to prompt and unchecked the box for session cookies. This gives you an option to see what cookies are being downloaded I did this for a couple of days and finally went to the setup in the beginning of this message when one of the cookies expiration date was 2035!
    Thanks for your time

10. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello:
    Well good news (for me anyway not for my present ISP)! Finally got ahold of my ISP and was told simply to go to add remove programs and remove "search enhancements" like I hadn't already looked there. I was never even asked if I wanted this program. Anyway I got clever and downloaded "hijack this" checked five items related to Yahoo search and clicked fix. Voila problem solved.This of course was the straw that broke the camels back. At least I won however. Once again thanks for all your help.
    Sorry that I couldn't wait to send a log back to you.
    Thanks for your time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.