SpywareBlaster will not Execute

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by joeray60, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeray60

joeray60 Registered Member

I have been using spwbl for years. No trouble in xp. I recently purchased a new computer with vista home basic in June 2007. Spwbltr worked ok until last week. Now after I click on the vista "allow" Option, no dice. The GUI doesn't come up and the application is not running in task manager list of processes. I tried starting the application from the .exe program in the program files. Is there a command prompt I can use? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling with all of the updates.
    I am running McAfee Security Suite complete. Any Suggestions?
    I Love This Program.

2. joeray60

I wanted to make sure that it is understood I just want to start the program so that I might update and load the data base protections.

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Have you updated anything or installed any new software between the time SpywareBlaster last worked and the first time it failed to start?

Thanks in advance. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. joeray60

I have not added any new software other than any updates to existing applications. I am running the latest version of firefox 2.0.
    I tried a complete uninstall and reinstall this morning to no avail. Thank you for your quick response. Please let me know if any more information about my system or software is needed to diagnose this problem.

5. joeray60

I'm sorry I didn't mention that the updates were any McAfee and Windows Updates, Security and Windows Defender Updates. I also may have updated Iobit AdvancedCare Windows V2. Also, Spybot Search and destroy. Thank you

6. javacool

Hi,

Would you mind temporarily disabling the McAfee Security Suite, to see if you can then run SpywareBlaster? (I'm trying to rule out potential conflicts at this point.)

Thanks in advance,

-Javacool

7. joeray60

I tried disabling all that I could in McAfee(About 10 Processes). Some denied me access to stop. I could not start spywareblaster. Thank you.

8. JMThomas

JMThomas Registered Member

Same proble/Proram check in Vista

SpywareBlaster installs fine. Executing the program (with administrator rights!) generates the "SpywarBlaster has stopped working message" from Vista. Problem details from the Vista message box are below.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: spywareblaster.exe
    Application Version: 3.5.0.1
    Application Timestamp: 43b835e1
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_ec66
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000096
    Exception Offset: 00bf32fc
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: ec66
    Additional Information 2: 0f14b907d00ca12cd1296f0dd8704d01
    Additional Information 3: 799c
    Additional Information 4: 48a24e659907b55f376f6bf0a180ae1c

Read our privacy statement:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

9. JMThomas

JMThomas Registered Member

Re: Same proble/Proram check in Vista

This is a DEP exception in the runtime; Use Control Panel / System / Advanced / Performance / Data Exception Protection tab, add SpywareBlaster (Program Files/SpywareBlaster/SpywareBlater.exe) to the list and make sure the box beside it is checked to exempt it from DEP.

10. joeray60

Thank you for your reply. I tried to exempt spywareBlaster in the DEP but no dice. I even did a reinstall and selected the new .exe file to exempt. I tried to run as administrator or other user, no dice. I never did get the error message "spywareblaster has stopped working" it just will not execute and allow the user interface needed to check for updates and to load the database.
    As I said this just started happening after six months of using vista and spywareblaster together with no problem. I know a security update from one of my programs is the culprit, but how do I work around? The mystery lingers.....

11. joeray60

Well, everyone I found out what the problem is with spwlbtr not executing. McAfee is incompatible with the program. So, all of you at javacool thanks for all the great years of service. I hope that you guys can find a fix for this. I cannot give up the protection of McAfee Security Suite since it is free from my ISP.
    It works well too. See ya!!

12. javacool

Hi,

What version of McAfee is this, and did you find this out by disabling McAfee, or did you hear this from McAfee support?

(I should add that support for some security and privacy companies is notorious for just saying that any other security/privacy products are "incompatible", as a troubleshooting step.)

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

13. joeray60

My version is 7.2. The info about incompatibility came from mcafee's website. Insofar that I could disable mcaffe (It has about 10 running processes at one time) I was unable to get spywareblaster to execute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.