Spywareblaster v. 4.4 defaults to 0 protection for FF 3.6.13 browser

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by mchain, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mchain

mchain Registered Member

I use FF 3.6.13 as my primary browser on a XP Home SP3 system.

For some time now, I have been checking Spywareblaster 4.4 for protection levels on both IE8 and FF. I have noticed the protection level is off after a period of time surfing with FF. Closing FF and opening Spywareblaster will show FF not protected (230 cookies), and merely re-enabling this protection will restore the settings. Surfing some more will result in the same behavior.

My question is, why or how is this protection being turned off?

In posting this, I do realize FF is not the primary focus of this program, but some protection for FF would still be nice to have. I have checked FF protection and the number of cookies protected against has not changed for some time now.

Thanks.

mchain

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm not a Firefox user, but I believe it has something to do with when cleaning Firefox cookies, when closing the web browser, either by defining it automatically or the user doing it manually.

Is there some setting in Firefox not to clean blocked cookies? Because, this is where SpywareBlaster places such blocks.

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

4. mchain

mchain Registered Member

m00nbl00d & thomasjk,

Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction. thomasjk provided the link to a post that provided the information I needed to reset FF to default settings for so that Spywareblaster can do its thing.

It turns out I did this to myself through ignorance as to how Spywareblaster works through FF for cookie protection.

As you may know, FF has since upgraded to version 3.6.15 (a short upgrade to v. 3.6.14 BTW) but faithfully preserved the settings for Site Preferences. Following the tips in the link thomasjk provided, I unchecked both settings in Clear Recent History and FF\Tools\Options\Privacy\Clear history when Firefox closes\Settings. It turns out that in limited user I had not ticked off Site Preferences to clear in the Options panel when I closed FF, so that user setting did not always result in Spywareblaster going to no protection for FF.

It is apparent both settings need to be unticked for Spywareblaster to work properly.

Thanks again.

mchain

5. slyfox

slyfox Registered Member

I have a somewhat similar problem. I'm using Firefox 3.6.17 with both XP SP3 and Win7 SP1.

SpywareBlaster 4.4 works perfectly with my XP setup, but doesn't protect FF in Win7, telling me that "No Mozilla Firefox user profiles were detected on this account".

The FF profiles.ini file is located exactly where it's supposed to be in Win7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\.

There's nothing wrong with the file, as it points to the (non-standard) location of the FF Profiles folder, and FF opens normally, with all of my installed extensions.

None of the several suggestions I've found in the forum seem to have any bearing on this specific problem.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.