SpywareBlaster updating - freezes while trying to download updates

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by JamesLJ, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesLJ

JamesLJ Registered Member

Re: SpywareBlaster 4.0 Does not Update

I do not think the problems with Updating are limited just to persons using Vista. I am using Windows 98 and I am having the same problems updating as have previously been described in the forum.

SpywareBlaster 4.0 operates fine for me except for the Update feature which does not function and produces the error conditions previously described.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Do you mean it just displays a white screen?
    Or that you receive a 503 error when attempting to update?

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

3. JamesLJ

JamesLJ Registered Member

If I have the Update Options set only to "Use a Direct Connection to the Internet", the following occurs: SpywareBlaster just freezes. I am unable to even close it without doing so through the Task Manager. Even then I have to reboot my system to bring everything back to normal. It seems to be like SpywareBlaster has hung and is refusing to relinquish whatever system resources it was using in the attempted update. I do not get a white screen, but my screen does not refresh normally in this situation where the attempted update has gone bad. For example, when I use Task Manager to exit SpywareBlaster, the portion of the SpywareBlaster display which was covered by the Task Manager dialog box remains white after I close Task Manager.

If I have the Update Options set to "Use a Direct Connection the the Internet" and also "Use Alternative Download Method", the following occurs. The download progress bar will immediately jump to 20% finished and hang there. I am able to exit out of the program easier in that I can simply click on the close button and the program closes.

In neither attempt at Updating do I get the White Screen nor the Error 503 message. I manually downloaded the update files listing you provided and was able to update Spyware Blaster one file at a time that way. Thanks for the help with that!

I hope the above information is of help to you as you continue to address the Update issue.

JamesJL

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

(I hope you don't mind - I split your posts to their own separate thread because the issue you're describing doesn't exactly match the issue in the original thread.)

The symptoms you are describing match exactly with situations in which another program is blocking SpywareBlaster's access to the Internet (i.e. another security program, like a firewall or an anti-virus "suite").

What other security/privacy software do you have installed (anti-virus, anti-trojan, firewall, anti-spyware, etc.)?

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

5. dragoncells

dragoncells Registered Member

Same problem, I think my router is blocking spywareblaster to connect to the update server. Therefore resulting in a "Cannot Establish Connection" error. May I know what ports spywareblaster use to connect to the update server? so that I could open up the ports in my router as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.