Spywareblaster update problems

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by jedi, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi

jedi Registered Member

I installed Spywareblaster and Spywareguard around the same time. They are the latest versions and work fine, but recently I cannot update either of them, I
    just get an error notice. Have tried disabling my firewall but it makes no difference. Javacoolsoftware home page directed me to this site so, any ideas anyone? I don't want to have to uninstall and re-install just to get the latest definitions. :doubt:

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Mornin', Jedi, and welcome to Wilders.

I assume you've read the sticky posts here, here and here, right? Your answers can probably be found in these. If not, look around some, as updating these two programs is an occasional problem, and there have been several posts on this.

I wish I could offer more, but I now have to leave for work.

3. jedi

jedi Registered Member

dangitall,
    Thanks for the links, as you probably guessed I haven't read them as I don't know my way around here yet.
    Will have a good read and come back here if I can't find a solution.
    And thanks for the welcome. Appreciated. :)

4. jedi

jedi Registered Member

Followed Javacools instructions in Tips and Tricks for manual update of Spywareblaster but when I overwrote the files I got a database error notice and error notices in all functions. So I uninstalled the whole thing and reinstalled it
    and it STILL won't update. Nor will SpywareGuard.
    I really like these programs and I want them on my system, but they're no use to me if they won't update.
    Suggestions, anyone?

5. dangitall

As far as the SpywareBlaster update goes, this is what I had to do to get it to work with the latest update: I followed the manual update method in the Tips & Tricks sticky. Then I opened the program, at which point it reported a corrupted database and offered to connect and correct the problem. I selected 'Yes', it connected, updated and everything has been working fine since.

However, I would try this only after going to the Options tab and selecting "Use alternative download method'. (Open SpywareBlaster, click Updates, then Options.) This has generally worked for me.

As for SpywareGuard, what is the definitions date at the bottom of the program screen? If it's 1/22/04, you're current.

6. jedi

jedi Registered Member

Just to let anyone who reads this know I found the answer, with a little help.
    It was as simple as, I'm on dial-up, my ISP had changed their number, and their notification of this involved a small download with new settings.
    When I reset my proxy connections to automatic, no more problems.

So, while I do feel a bit stupid, at least it's sorted.
    Thanks Javacool.
    (You replied to my post in Spywareinfo and gave me the clue I needed) :)

7. dangitall

You weren't stupid: you came to the right place(s) for help! Glad it's resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.