SpywareBlaster - Unprotected Items

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by davstar, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davstar

davstar Registered Member

Hi,
    At each reboot Spywareblaster 3.5.1. keeps indicating that 12 files (see below) are not protected so that at each reboot I have to manually include them which it appears to do. These are protections for Internet Explorer.
    Spyware Doctor 5.5 and Nod32 3.0 with latest databases do not detect any infections and programs with these names are not installed according to Windows XP pro with latest updates.
    I have reinstalled SpywareBlaster to see if that helped but it didn't.
    This concerns the following items some of which occur numerous times:

Hotbar
    VCMore
    Savenow
    navexel
    topicks

Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Regards and thanks,
    Dave

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. davstar

Hi Snowbound,
    Thanks for your reply. Yes I see from your link that it's an old problem that's still ongoing. At least it doesn't seem to involve an infection thank goodness. I'll contact PCTools and see what they are doing about this.
    Regards,
    Dave

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

You're quite welcome. :)

Sounds like a plan. :thumb: :D

snowbound

5. davstar

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I'm sorry to say, but the information given in that forum is incorrect.

Please see the following posts:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1151720&postcount=36
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1153085&postcount=38

SpywareDoctor is *NOT* protecting against those items. It is allowing them (by removing the block and ensuring it is removed). Yes, that means that by enabling SpywareDoctor's "Computer Immunization" function, SpywareDoctor actually removes some immunization, if already present on your system.

It is also not a matter of SpywareDoctor protecting them in some way that SpywareBlaster and Spybot S & D cannot detect - it is both preventing SpywareBlaster (and other programs) from blocking those items (by continually removing the blocks), and not blocking them itself.

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. davstar

Hi Javacool,
    Thanks for your reply. I shall persue this matter on the Spyware Doctor forums. It's time that this was resolved as many users seem to be unprotected against this malware/adware.
    Regards,
    Dave

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Just to update quickly, since I noticed you received another response on the PC Tools forums:

SpywareDoctor does not overwrite the protection with a value that SpywareBlaster cannot read. Instead, SpywareDoctor overwrites the protection with a "0" value, which does *not* provide protection against that item, but actually *allows* that item through (this is the case for all 12 items).

SpywareBlaster correctly shows that protection for those items is no longer in place. SpywareBlaster also correctly re-enables protection for those items. However, SpywareDoctor then quickly removes the protection, if you have the "Computer Immunization" function enabled.

There is nothing wrong with SpywareBlaster - it is reading the state of your system correctly. The flaw exists in SpywareDoctor (and the only way to fix it, currently, is to disable SpywareDoctor's Computer Immunization function).

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.