SpywareBlaster - prevents I.E. loading pages.

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by golfer60, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golfer60

golfer60 Registered Member

Would sure appreciate some help.
    After installing SpywareBlaster v3.2, about 1 month ago, Internet Explorer has been restritricted from loading most if not all the web pages I like to visit.

When I click to go to a web page the page appears to be loading but then I get this message:

Internet Explorer -
    An active x control on this page is not safe. Your current settings prohibit running unsafe controls on this page. As a result, this page may not display as intended.

Then I get this message immediately following:

Internet Explorer -
    Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site.
    Invalid Argument, OK.

The above condition pretty much completely prevents me from using the internet with Internet Explorer. I am using Mozilla Firefox to be able to post this problem.

Also - I followed the instructions for selecting to disable all options on SpywareBlaster and then did a uninstall on SpywareBlaster hoping that would restore Internet Explorer back to being able to use it again. But I continue to have the same problem.

I am using a older version of I.E. - version 5.00.2614.3500

Thanks for any help.

Golfer60

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hye golfer,

Are you using any other programs that place sites in the Restricted Zone of IE....Spybot, IE-Spyad....etc ?

Also....if you do not mind....would you give us a link to one of these sites ?

If you agree....Please visit that site to make sure it's still giving you that message.

Also....the "Invalid Argument, OK" message can be associated with a script problem....in particular....Active script since we are speaking of IE. Hopefully via a link to one of these pages can help shed some light on your problem.

3. golfer60

Thanks for the reply,
    I am not using any other programs that place sites in the restricted zone of I.E.

One site I use is - my.yahoo.com - since this is my home page for use in news and email. This site, along with many others, loads ok with Firefox or Netscape, just not I.E. If this is not the link information you need just let me know and I will try for further info.

Also, I.E. does not show any sites in the restricted zone?

I will be looking for further replys, if not today.

Thanks,

Golfer60

4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Have u thought of upgrading ur IE? Could ur security levels be set too high? U might want to visit this website which may answer ur question. http://www.markusjansson.net/eienbid.html

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I would like to first suggest you really consider updating that version of IE for security reasons....unless you have a personal reason....which the becomes none of my business.

If there are indeed no entries in IE's Restricted Zone....I suggest you follow the below info from Microsoft for deleting cookies in that older version.

How to Delete Cookie Files

I also suggest you consider clearing your cache(Temporary Internet Files)....close all IE browser windows and then re-open IE.

6. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

peaches and bubba are right. you really need to upgrade to ie6 that might fix part of the prob. then they could help you fixing it up.

7. golfer60

Thanks again for the replys, I have deleted cookies and cache and the problem is still present. I usually delete the cache after each time I finish the internet connection, I delete the cookies about as often.

I don't think I qualify for a update of the I.E. browser since this is a older P.C. that I was given by a previous employer and I do not have proof of original copy of Windows SE. So I have never tried to do a update, things have been running OK up till now. This is a old P.C. that may not have the power for the latest version of I.E. It is 200 mgz and only 32 meg, but fortunately runs Firefox just fine.

To add more info, there are some web pages I can load as expedia.com. However, after loading such a page I can enter some info for a search, but when I click a button to begin a search the click will not work, as if it is not being clicked. This makes me think these other pages may load and work, only to find that even if they load they do not work.

Thanks again for any info.

Golfer60

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That in itself is usually an indication that Active script in IE is being disabled. Would you check your setting via IE's menu....Tools\Internet Options\Security tab....make sure the Internet icon is highlighted and select Custom Level. Take a look in the Scripting section for a setting named Active Scripting. What is that set to ?

9. golfer60

Hi Bubba,

When I go to I.E. tools/internet options/security tab, the only icon I have to highlight is Restricted Sites. This may be something I should have mentioned as more info. Anyway using the Restricted Sites icon, when I select Custom Level, and look at the scripting section, the setting for Active Scripting is set with the enable button marked.

Thanks again for your time and responses.

Golfer60

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Yep....that would have been good because unless you or someone who has access to your machine deliberately tweaked a setting in the registry....something has highjacked that icon.

Any setting adjusted in the Restricted Zone will only effect those sites listed in the Restricted Zone and Active script enabled in the Restricted Zone is not good.

I'm not sure what to suggest unless your wanting to attempt to either re-install IE 5 and get your settings back to proper....OR....visit Windows Update for Internet Explorer 6.

A.) I have installed IE 6 on a Win98 SE machine with 32 meg of RAM and it works fine.
    B.) not having proof of original copy or ownership will not prevent you from receiving any and all updates from Microsoft for Win98. If we were talking Win XP....there would be a different answer.

I am going to ask you to do something Please:

Please go here ....to download HijackThis into a folder of it's own....not the desktop or Windows temp folder....uncompress the zip file you downloaded....then run the executable file. Once the program is open....select Scan....once it's finished scanning you will have a listing of all items found by HijackThis....do NOT select Fix Checked....select the Save Log button....a Save logfile box should pop up....save the file where-ever....once you save the file Notepad should open up and display a HiJackThis log result. Click on Edit and then Select All....all the text should now be selected. Then select Edit\Copy....which will copy all the selected text into your clipboard. At that same time....re-visit this thread and paste that info into a post Please.

11. golfer60

Hi Bubba, here is the info from the Hijackthis scan and log run, thanks again for your help.

~HJT log removed after verification....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2004
  12. golfer60

Hi again Bubba,

Thought I would update you with the latest status. I have followed your advice and updated I.E. to version 6. The update went OK and the problem went away as far as I can tell. I can use I.E. just as well as Netscape or Firefox with no problems loading pages. I am not sure what messed up I.E. when I installed Spywareblaster, but the I.E. is back to normal.

I was wondering if the log print was informative, and if there is any thing else I should be doing for Spywareblaster. I currently have Spywareblaster uninstalled. I also hope the info from the log print is not to revealing of my privacy of my PC.

Thanks for all your time and instructions.

Golfer60

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hi Golfer60,

I appologize for not getting back to this thread and I am glad you were able to install IE 6. As for your log....there is nothing I see that would cause you any headaches or is there anything of a privacy nature. I actually did not mean to leave it up as long as I did due to our policy on HJT logs. So....I'll remove it now and feel free to throw any more problems our way when the need arises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.