SpywareBlaster interfering with Trusted Web-Sites?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Charryl, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charryl

Charryl Registered Member

My OS: WinXP Pro SP2.

I am experiencing an unusual occurrence involving SpywareBlaster.

I am a careful surfer, practice safe-hex and am using IE7 which have 'hardened' considerably. "Broken" websites I trust are added to the Trusted Zone (sites). This arrangement has been working for me flawlessly and satisfactory in the past.

Recently, I noticed that some of my (Trusted Sites) websites don't open in the Trusted Zone anymore but instead (trying) to open in the Internet sites. The websites of course don't open properly because of 'hardening' the Internet Zone.

The websites are definitely added to the Trusted Zone.

I reset the Internet Explorer settings numerous times, followed always by applying SpywareBlaster to ensure that both Internet Explorer protection & Restricted Sites protection are enabled and 'rehardening' of Internet Explorer.

To cut a long and very time consuming story short, I reset the Internet Explorer for the eleventeenth time or so but this time without applying SpywareBlaster.
    Now all of a sudden everything is working fine; After hardening IE and adding the websites to the Trusted Sites, the sites are opening in the Trusted Zone again.

But when applying SpywareBlaster to enable all protections the same problem recurs.

I assume that one of the recent updates of Spywareblaster are causing this problem. I went through each and every item listed in SpywareBlaster but could not find any corresponding relevance to the websites.

The websites are from highly reputable origin (Financial Institutions) viz:

http://*.guestmcleod.com.au
    https://*.visiweb.com.au
    https://personal.macquarie.com.au

Is it possible to tweak SpywareBlaster not to interfer with these websites?

Thanks in advance for taking time responding to my request.

Regards,
    Charryl.

2. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

Check the settings In the Restricted settings See if the Url are there if so untick them ..I just installed the new one and every thing is 100%

3. Charryl

Couldn't find any matching URL's; I gave up!

Based on my surfing habits I can get by withouth SpywareBlaster.

What do you mean "..I just installed the new one and every thing is 100%" ??

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Unfortunately I have attempted more than a few ways to have the same results you have describrd here and also at the Spybot forum where you are suspecting it's Immunization feature is part of the problem but without success.
    Having used both programs for years I feel confident in saying neither Spybot nor Spywareblaster has the sites you listed in their respective database and when they add their protection they do not mess with sites a user might place in their Trusted Zone.

Bubba

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

SpywareBlaster does not add the domains you mentioned to the registry. The only possible cause of this problem is that Internet Explorer itself has a bug and is being thrown off by something.

And, in fact, there appears to be a bug in IE7 - I was finally able to reproduce it now. If you uncheck the entry in SpywareBlaster's Restricted Sites list named "Red Sheriff (3)" (and then press the "Remove Protection for Unchecked Items" button), you should find that those sites you mentioned suddenly appear back in your Trusted Sites zone - after you restart IE7. (That is, assuming no other programs/tools add the same entry to your restricted sites zone.) You can permanently add this item to the Ignore List in SpywareBlaster by right-clicking on it and choosing "Add Item to Ignore List".

It appears as though IE7 changed the way it adds Trusted/Restricted Sites to the registry, without changing how it looks for them. (Basically, the IE7 Internet Tools interface no longer adds Trusted Sites or Restricted Sites entries in the same way that IE7 checks to see if sites are in those zones. This only appears when there is a certain combination of specific types of entries.) This is definitely a behavior change from IE6, but it appears as though they only did it half-way. I'll take a further look into this - in the meantime, unchecking/ignoring the entry I mentioned above should resolve the issue you are having.

I'd also like to quickly mention that SpywareBlaster has a search feature - simply right-click on any of the Block Lists and you should see Find.../Find Next options.

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hopefully by Charryl un-checking irmworldwide.com.au it will then let them alleviate their issue but as a side question to both of ya'll if I may....what version build of IE is this happening on ?

As alluded to above and with build 7.0.5730.11....I can add only the below URL's to IE and have IE's security at the default(Interent Zone\Medium-high;Trusted Zone\Medium;Restricted Zone\High) and visiting those sites it is correctly reported what zone they reside in.

I am aware that beta 3 of IE had this type of an issue but have not experienced the same with the final build\s.

Bubba :doubt:

7. Charryl

Javacool / Bubba.

Many thanks for informative and comprehensive response.
    Never would I have suspected that "Red Sherrif (3)" would 'interact' with the web-sites mentioned.
    I proceeded as you have suggested and am happy to report that this did the trick :)

I have been using SpywareBlaster for about 2 years and my IE7 is version 7.05730.11 (which includes all software updates); (Interent Zone\Medium-high; Trusted Zone\Medium; Restricted Zone\High)

(For you information; After using the immunizing feature in Spybot S&D I experienced the same problem again. I was able to locate and remove *.red sheriff.com from the Restricted Zone but it didn't resolve the issue. I still await a response from one of Spybot's forum moderators).

In the meantime, I again resetted IE7, utilizing SpywareBlaster and refrain from employing Spybot's immunization application.

Thanks again and kind regards,
    Charryl.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Personally....I would flip a coin and only use one of these programs when it comes to the Internet Explorer protection(ActiveX,Restricted Sites and Cookies). They both have mirrored each other over the years and due to the redundancy in their respective databases you would then only have to troubleshoot problems like this by looking at only one program. Of course....since I am in the Spywareblaster Forum your coin flip needs to show that Spywareblaster won :eek: :D ;)

Bubba

9. Charryl

Ouite right, Bubba! I've decided on this already. I won't be using the immunization application in Spybot anymore and am sticking with SpywareBlaster (after all, you guys responded positively and made the issue disappear).

Thanks again and best regards,
    Charryl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.