SpywareBlaster doesn't run in background?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by maggietoo9, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maggietoo9

maggietoo9 Registered Member

I'm thinking of downloading SpyWareBlaster. I now run XP with Norton Anti-Virus, ZoneAlarm, SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, IHateSpam, and Smart PopUpKiller. Any conflicts here?

How does SpyWareBlaster prevent things from loading into memory if it doesn't run in the background?

What if there are tracking cookies on some sites that you do want to download and keep (like shopping baskets or profiles)?

Has anyone had any problems with it?

Thanks, -Ann

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Hi, Maggietoo9, and welcome to Wilders.

SpywareBlaster works by setting kill bits in the registry for known spyware and tracking cookies, so it is not the sort of program that has to 'run' all of the time. If there are specific cookies that you want to unblock, you can do so from within SB's interface.

There should be no conflicts with the software you've listed.

Unfortunately, several people have experienced problems. These problems have run the gamut from being unable to download the program, to not being able to get it to run, to not being able to get the updates, etc. If you browse through this forum, you can get some idea of what's been happening in this regard. Those with problems, however, seem to be the minority, and Javacool is working to get their difficulties squared away.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

3. mark5019

mark5019 Registered Member

i guess im lucky installed newest version spyblaster, runing avg, scriptsentry,zaf,spybot, adaware .no problems plus got the newest update

4. maggietoo9

maggietoo9 Registered Member

I installed, then downloaded updates - all went perfectly.

You say it just sets a "kill bit" - on existing and new threats? It doesn't prevent downloading, just running? And it doesn't remove anything? Will AdAware & Spybot still recognize the "set kill bit" items so that they can be removed?
    Thank you, -Ann Fennell

5. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Hi, Ann -

This is from the Help file (slightly edited):

So, according to Javacool, ActiveX 'baddies' are prevented from downloading.

No, neither SpywareBlaster nor SpywareGuard are 'cleaners'; they are 'preventers', pro-active measures against malware. For a 'cleaner', try AdAware and/or Spybot Search & Destroy. I haven't seen any problems on my machine with using these four programs in conjunction with each other but, if you do come up with a possible conflict, post it here and someone will be around to try and get you squared away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.