SpywareBlaster and Spyware Doctor conflict

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JRCATES, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I am using version 3.4 of SpywareBlaster, and version 3.2 of Spyware Doctor (PC Tools). I've noticed a somewhat rather odd conflict between these two apps.

First, when I scan with Spyware Doctor, it flags these particular items:

[​IMG]

And IF I choose to remove these entries....it has a rather odd effect on SpywareBlaster. After removal, Spyware Blaster lists "6 items have protection disabled" for Internet Explorer. Here is a screenshot:

[​IMG]

And here are the items listed in SpywareBlaster, that have protection disabled. You can see that these are the same items Spyware Doctor is removing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So obviously, Spyware Doctor is flagging these items that SpywareBlaster has enabled protection for. But once Spyware Doctor removed them, they are "disabled" in SpywareBlaster! I am assuming these are false positives from Spyware Doctor, because none of my other scanners (Ad-Aware, A-Squared, VirusScan, TrojanHunter, KAV web scanner, etc.) are flagging them......but could somebody please explain exactly HOW SpywareBlaster's protection works? And if Spyware Doctor removes these entries, why they are disabled within SpywareBlaster?

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

SpywareBlaster sets the registry killbits - and Spyware Doctor basically is using too "generic" of a signature for detection. They are detecting SpywareBlaster's protection as the baddy that SWB is actually protecting against. This is no new story with Spyware Doctor if I am not mistaken - you might submit the FPs to them.

3. JRCATES

Thanks, Detox. Yeah, that was pretty much what I was thinking....but it always helps to hear it and to be reassured.

I will report this to Spyware Doctor, but they do not have a forum presense and I believe that their tech support is understaffed at the moment, so it may be a while before I hear anything back. I'll pass it along as or if I do.

Thanks again

4. sclausen

sclausen Registered Member

Thanks, I have sent this thread to our Malware Researchers and will post a reply once they have investigated.

Regards,

Simon Clausen

5. JRCATES

Thank you, Simon, that will be very helpful. I'm sure other Spyware Doctor AND SpywareBlaster users will appreciate this :D

6. JonPaulOnLine

JonPaulOnLine Registered Member

Yes,

Thank you

I was in the same boat as your scenario

Thanks again

7. rawr

rawr Registered Member

.. just add those 12 registry entry's to the ignore list in Spyware Doctor. :D

8. sclausen

Hi all, I was advised by our MRC guys that this was resolved in the database that was released last Friday (2nd). Please run Live Update and make sure you are using database version 3.0296 or greater.

Best,

Simon

9. rawr

rawr Registered Member

How do you find out the version of the database for SpywareBlaster? I'm pretty sure I have the most recent update (9/02/2005 - 4349 Items in Database) .. and it still conflicts with my Spyware Doctor 3.2.

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

You do have your SWB updated all the way - you can tell by trying to update and finding no new update.

However, sclausen is from Spyware Doctor - he means that it should be fixed in the newest Spyware Doctor database release ;-)

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Simon,

I would ask your MRC guys to Please re-check their findings.

I removed all Spywareblaster and Spybot Immunization protection. I then manually added the suspect URL's to Internet Explorer's Per Site Cookie section....minus qksrv.net for personal verification\confirmation purposes. The valid blocked cookie entries are still being falsely flagged by SpywareDoctor with the latest 3.02930 database.

Attached Files:

• SDfp.gif
      SDfp.gif
      File size:
      14.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  12. JonPaulOnLine

JonPaulOnLine Registered Member

Re: SpywareBlaster and Spyware Doctor

Bubba

You are sharp

Thanks for that report

I am staying on the sidelines, and not removing any displayed potential nasty's , until this issue
    is resolved

thanks again for the information

13. sclausen

My apologies, I got the database version right, it will be fixed in 3.0296x or greater, but got the release date wrong. It went to external beta testers on Friday and will go live in about 2 hours.

Bubba, if you have DB 3.02930 you are probably running the trial version as that is always 2 DBs behind the registered version. FYI, when you look at the version numbers of the DB the first 4 digits after the decimal point are significant, the last digit is just a build number (i.e. 3.VVVVb).

Simon

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I am indeed Simon as seen in the pic I posted and as are most of the folks that I assist with here @ Wilders and other Forums. I wish I could afford all the programs that I attempt to help with....but with as many as there are out there....that would not be feasible.

Thanks for checking into this....and will pass this info on to all those that are experiencing this problem with the trial version.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The registered version as of database 3.02960(32792 intelli-signatures) is no longer falsely flagging the above mentioned entries.

I have also taken the liberty to move this to a more appropriate Forum since this is not necessarily a Spywareblaster issue.

16. Cantos

Cantos Guest

A basic question

I just downloaded SWB 3.4 turn enabled all protection. What I want to know is that do I run a scan with this pgm like AD-Aware and SpyDoctor or this pgm
    wont scan or remove anything it's only prevent thing get into my PC.
    You guys must know the answer to this. Thanks.

17. JRCATES

Re: A basic question

That is correct, Cantos.....SpywareBlaster is a spyware PREVENTION program. It does NOT "scan" for malware like Spyware Doctor, Ad Aware, and others do. Just be sure to check for updates periodically, and make sure that your SpywareBlaster definitions database is current and up to date.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.