SpywareBlaster and lost Internet Connection !

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by greenhorn, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenhorn

greenhorn Registered Member

I am a novice with an XP computer using a DSL internet connection with the IE6.0 browser. The computer has had Norton Internet Security and Anti-Virus protection together with E anti-virus from SBC and a built-in firewall in the 2Wire internet connection box. Everything worked smoothly until I downloaded Spybot and SpywareBlaster 2 days ago. IE runs and connects to some web sites but not to others: Microsoft (so no updates), my bank accounts, my health insurer, etc. I am a novice at this and not competent to work out my own fixes. What can I do?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2005
  2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Re: SpywareBlaster is KILLING my internet connection !

Run SpywareBlaster, In Protection section click on “Restricted sites” Tab, remove checkmark for “Restrict the actions of spyware/ad/tracking sites in Internet Explorer.” and begin browsing, does this help?

If not run SpywareBlaster if it isn’t already running and In Protection section click on “Disable All Protection” link found in “Status” Tab, now begin browsing, does this help?

3. greenhorn

Thanks, PhantOm, for your suggestions to try first unchecking "Restrict actions ... in IE," then clicking "Disable All Protection" link. Unfortunately, neither had any effect, whether I then went immediately to IE or restarted my computer before opening IE. I am still unable to open web sites that matter most to me (Microsoft updates, bank accounts, etc.), while retaining normal access to other web sites.

Can I safely uninstall SpywareBlaster and Spybot without wreaking more havoc?

4. Phant0m

Hey

When you done that, did you see if there were still things in IE “Restricted sites”?

You mentioned about installing the two things SpywareBlaster and Spybot, perhaps one of Spybot features is the culprit?

Also you may want to temporary rename the hostfile in addition to what I had said in the previous post, then try surfing some, problem still persists while you can connect to some sites?

5. Phant0m

Yes you should be-capable of uninstalling the two programs without damaging anything, suggestion though if it does come down to that (uninstalling), undo the stuff done by the two programs like how you did when clicking “Disable All Protection” link in SpywareBlaster.

6. greenhorn

Thanks for your quick responses.

Yes, there is a long string of sites in the Block List; however, all the boxes there are unchecked.

In Spybot, I have already the 2 IE Locks and the Resident protection. The only Spybot S&D I ran came up with 5 DSO Exploits but did nothing and a number of Tracking Cookies, most of which I allowed it to delete. Since then, I have unchecked the Spybot box that directs it to search Tracking Cookies.

With respect to Hostfile, I had already tried temporarily removing it from its Windows/System32/Drivers/Etc location to my Desktop, but that had no effect on this problem of being able to connect to some sites but not others.

I will reply to your separate suggestion about uninstalling separately.

7. Phant0m

If it isn't already, try making the browser connect to http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com (Microsoft Windows Updates)

No go? try nslookup v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com in Command Prompt and paste the results...

-

I mean from Internet Explorer view "Restricted Sites" and if there are any shown in the list, remove them all.

8. greenhorn

PhantOm:
    If I uninstall, I want to do it properly, since the first time I tried to uninstall SpywareBlaster, I didn't know I was supposed to disable it first and had to start all over with reinstalling it. Therefore:

Please explain exactly what you mean by "undoing the stuff done by the two programs [Spybot & SwB]." I currently have SpywareBlaster disabled entirely. Is that enough to undo something it may have already done?

In Spybot, although I had it configured to create backups for easy recovery, when I click on its Recovery button nothing is there (I am, however, able to call up previous Spybot Reports detailing my system and Spybot actions). If I simply reset Spybot to tell it not to search for anything and then uninstall it, won't that just leave my system in this crippled state rather than restoring its former functionality? (I get no answer from Spybot.)

Thanks again for your concern and thoughts.

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

To be sure and eliminate SpywareBlaster(SWB)....open SpywareBlaster and select Disable All Protection

In Spybot....select the Immunize menu selection on the left side....and then select Undo.

Attached Files:

10. Phant0m

Great post Bubba, thanks, I'm not that familiar with Spybot, I don’t use that software…

There yea go greenhorn :)

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I don't use a lot of these softwares as a layer of protection ....only install them in order to assist with folks problems :cool:

Good to see ya around [​IMG]

12. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Just to add: If this is the case, and SpywareBlaster is completely disabled, it shouldn't be possible for it to be the cause of such problems.

Neither, as far as I know, should any part of Spybot S & D be able to cause such problems.

Have you posted a HijackThis log in any of the various cleaning forums to see if you have any baddies installed on your system that could be causing those issues?

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.