SpywareBlaster adds mixed case entries to Firefox

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Alan Baxter, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan Baxter

Alan Baxter Registered Member

SpywareBlaster erroneously adds some mixed case entries to the Firefox cookies exceptions list. There are many of these: NarrowCastMedia.com, UtopiAd.com, etc. Firefox does not support mixed case entries. They must be in all lower case, e.g. narrowcastmedia.com. The Firefox UI enforces this by converting all exceptions that are entered manually to all lower case but does not modify the case when the exceptions are entered en masse by SpywareBlaster. SpywareBlaster should be adding these exceptions in all lower case.

This current situation is problematic in a couple of ways:
    1) Firefox does not match the mixed case exceptions with the URL of the domain that needs to be blocked, e.g. the NarrowCastMedia.com exception does not match http://narrowcastmedia.com and cookies from narrowcastmedia.com are not blocked as they should be.

2) I use the Firefox CS Lite extension to fix this problem by adding the correct all lower case exceptions to the block list, but the next time I update the protection with SpywareBlaster it removes the corresponding lower case exceptions that had been added and replaces them with mixed case entries again. SpywareBlaster is making things worse instead of better.

Until this problem is fixed I'll have to disable Mozilla/Firefox protection. I'm grateful that this is possible and I can still use SpywareBlaster to protect IE.
    --
    SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 with current database
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.5) Gecko/20070713 Firefox/2.0.0.5 - Build ID: 2007071317

2. Alan Baxter

Found another issue with the Firefox Mozilla/Firefox Block List reported here: http://forum.softwareblaze.com/viewtopic.php?p=566#566

Any chance of a fix for these issues?

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Yes, and many thanks for reporting them! :)

At a minimum, the fix will be implemented fully in the upcoming new version of SpywareBlaster. I'll also investigate releasing a fix through the current updating system.

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. Alan Baxter

Thank you. Looking forward to it. And thank you so much for SpywareBlaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.