Spywareblaster 4.0 error message

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by hotwings78, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotwings78

hotwings78 Registered Member

Was using the 3.5 version with Eindows XP for years without any problem. Downloading and installing 4.0 causes an error message as attached to this message.

Can anybody be so kind as to help resolve this issue ?

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

At what point does this error message display?

i.e. Exactly what section of the program are you in, what was the last thing you clicked, and what were you trying to do right before the error message occurred?

In addition, what other security/privacy programs (anti-virus, firewall, other anti-spyware) do you have installed on your system?

EDIT: One more question: Do you have SP2 (Service Pack 2) installed for Windows XP?

EDIT[2]: Also, could you please include a screenshot of the error message with the entire SpywareBlaster window displayed?

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  3. lhoust

lhoust Registered Member

I have been using SpywareBlaster on many machine under different version of Windows: Today after removing SpywareBlaster 3.51 and installing SpywareBlaster 4.0 I am getting a similar Error Message!!! This particular installation is Windows 2000 SP4, running Free AVG 7.5, Spybot 1.4 (NO Firewall since we are behind a Home Router). The Error Message occcurs after Clicking the "Enable all Protection" Button (last viewable line is "Restricted Site"), after which the only option is to exit SpywareBlaster 4.0 (since SpywareBlaster is NO longer refreshing its window)!!! "Mozilla Firefox" is covered by the Error Message Popup and given the Error Message appears immediately my "impression" is "Mozilla Firefox" was NOT completed, althoug it may have started (given "Restricted Sites" appears to have turned Green)?

Spyblaster_40.jpg

Curiously this Error Message does NOT appear under the Regular User Codes (even though they are in the Admin Group)? Lastly now that SpywareBlaster 4.0 is exiting under the Admin Code, removing/re-installing leaves me unable to get past all "Protection Disabled"!!! NOTE: The original installation was completed under one the Regular User Codes within the Admin Group and "Disable All Protection" had only been completed under that Regular User's Code...

NOTE: Although currently Spybot 1.4 is installed, that is a Downgrade from Spybot 1.5.2 due to Servious Performance Issues!!!

LHoust...

4. lhoust

lhoust Registered Member

With SpywareBlaster 3.51 no longer updating and SpywareBlaster 4.0 having "Problems" under some User Codes it appeared as if I was the bad position of NOT being well protected against Active-X Attacks!!! Although in closer evaluation I am able to use the Individual "Click here to enable protection..." Links and I can enable "Internet Explorer" and "Restricted Sites"... I am now able to confirm it is "Mozilla Firefox" which causes the Exception (currently Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12)!!!

Workaround: Removing the "Mozilla" Folder from within the Administator's "Application Data" Folder ("Documents and Settings" under Windows 2000), re-running Firefox and getting Firefox to re-import the IE Data (which also regenerates the "Mozilla" Tree) allows SpywareBlaster 4.0 to complete its "Enable all Protection" Function!!! Although under Linux killing a User's ".mozilla" Directory is sometimes required following a Firefox Upgrade, this was the first time I have had to complete an equivalent operation under Windows...

LHoust

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the in-depth bug report.

Could you please zip and e-mail the following data to bugreports@javacoolsoftware.com :

A copy of the problem "Mozilla" folder under the Application Data folder (on your Administrator account, you mentioned). (Hopefully you haven't deleted it yet, or can recover it.) This data will be kept strictly confidential and only used to track down and resolve the issue.

If you'd like to only provide specific files, the ones I really need are:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini
    and any "hostperm.1" files from within Firefox profiles:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random profile folder>\hostperm.1

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  6. lhoust

lhoust Registered Member

I simply removed Admin's "Problem" Mozilla Folder and had Firefox generate a new Mozilla Folder as if it was the first time Mozilla had been run... After posting to the SpywareBlaster Group I realized that might have been an "Oversite" since that "Problem" Mozilla Folder could have helped with the Debugging!!! Unfortunately my Jan 26th Backup of Admin's Mozilla Folder does NOT cause SpywareBlaster 4.0 to generate an Error, which still leaves the Spybot Downgrade a possible cause since that was Feb 10th (following the Last Backup)... As I continue with the SpywareBlaster Upgrading I will keep any further "Problem" Mozilla Folders for Debugging Purposes. Maybe other SpywareBlaster Users could save their "Problem" Mozilla Folders?

Did find another case of Windows 2000 running within a VMWare Virtual Machine... ZIPs have been E-mailed to Bugreports!!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  7. hotwings78

hotwings78 Registered Member

R E S O L U T I O N:

Kaspersky fire wall.

Turned off the Kaspersky fire wall and turned on the Windows firewall and everything is "back to normal".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.