SpywareBlaster 4.0 Does not Update

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by gr277, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gr277

gr277 Registered Member

Hi guys,

For the last couple of days I have been trying unsuccessfully to get SpywareBlaster 4.0 to update. The programe seems to download and install perfectly well, but as soon as I click the "Update" button (I use manual update) I just get a blank screen and the program seems to stop working.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/gr277/2008-03-02_083128.png
    The main programe screen
    Please click to enlarge

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/gr277/2008-03-02_082139.png
    The Screen I get when I click "Update"
    Please click to enlarge

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/gr277/2008-03-02_082231.png
    The screen I get when I then try to close the programe
    Please click to enlarge

I must have fully uninstalled and reinstalled more than 10 times, by now, trying to "fix" the problem.

My OS is Vista Home Premium.
    My "protection" is: Vista Firewall - Windows Defender - AVG Antivirus 7.5 - AVG Antispyware 7.5 - WinPatrol (Free) - Vista UAC turned ON.
    My "maintenance" programs are: CCleaner - Registry Mechanic - AusLogics Defragmenter.

I have downloaded using both Firefox 2.0.0.12 (my default browser) and IE7.
    I have also downloaded from both available servers.

Thinking that one or more of my "protection" may be preventing correct installation, I have downloaded/installed after turning off one of my protection programs at a time, but always keeping the Vista Default Firewall and Windows Defender turned on.

I have also downloaded/installed after turning off all my protection programs together, but keeping the Vista Firewall and Windows defender on.

As you can see, by now I am running out of ideas and this problem is doing my head in ;) . I have been using SpywareBlaster on my XP for a long time successfully. On my Vista, however, I can't get it to work properly.:oops:
    Any assistance will be gratefully received.

2. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

The main screen shows that it has already downloaded the database. All you need to do is "Enable All Protection" via the main screen.

3. gr277

gr277 Registered Member

Thank you siliconman01,

As you can see from the main screen link, all protection has already been enabled. This, however, does not prevent the program ceasing up as shown on the second and third link.....o_O

Basically, how do I update the database when updates become available? (Please see second and third link).
    At the moment, it looks like I will have to uninstall and then reinstall, just to update the database.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

5. gr277

gr277 Registered Member

Thank you snowbound. :thumb:
    I am grateful.

6. snowbound

You're quite welcome. :)

snowbound

7. schitzn

schitzn Registered Member

I get 404 Page not found messages for every one of those links, is that because 4.0 includes all current updates, or am I experiencing karma and hitting the site when its temp. down?

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Looks like they are down. I would try again later.

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

According to the sbversion4.txt file for version 4.0, the URL has indeed been changed for manually downloading the database update files, hence the "404 Page not found".

The manual update URL's in the troubleshooting link provided above, will possibly be updated to reflect this change.

The download links for the required files are below and are available as of this post .

10. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

We have had two other reports of this issue, both of them on Vista.

I haven't completely tracked down the cause yet, but I'm working on a potential fix for what I think is triggering the problem. :)

In the meantime, you can manually update the files using the links in the Tips and Tricks thread (the links are now working).

Best regards,

-Javacool

11. javacool

12. TBornotTB

TBornotTB Registered Member

SpywareBlaster 4.0 question: Installed on Vista Home Premium (AVG free AV & ZoneAlarm free edition, SB has all permissions), SB appears to work fine, manual update normal, but database has not updated since 4 March. Response is always "No Updates Available", same 9847 items in database. How often does SB 4.0 update?

13. snowbound

9847 would be correct at this time and as far as frequency it's usually around every 2 weeks or so.

snowbound

14. javacool

Hi,

A database update was just pushed out to the update servers. :)

In regard to the update frequency - we anticipate being able to release more frequent database updates with the new release of SpywareBlaster and the improvements we've made to the updating setup. These improvements should be more evident soon. :cool:

Best regards,

-Javacool

15. TBornotTB

TBornotTB Registered Member

Exceptional!

Won´t waste your time except to say Exceptional product and Exceptional service, especially for the (zero) cost. I will make my only "donation" to date to JavaCool. Thanks for the fast TA response:argh: :thumb: !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.