spywareblaster 3.51 manual update problem

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by spadone, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spadone

spadone Registered Member

I've got a strange problem with the update procedure of spywareblaster 3.51 on my notebook with Win XP Home.
    When I click the button to search new definitions, spywareblaster never advises me that there are not new updates available, but keeps downloading previous definitions (january or february's) randomly.
    It takes 5 or 6 trials before it downloads the 3/7* definitions (5643 elements in database) again !!
    I downloaded the installation file from different sources and made several clean installations, but the problem is still there.

I thought of some malware interfering with spywareblaster, but my system is regularly checked thru AVG,Ewido,spybot,Adaware,MS Removal tool, hijackthis.... it is "clean"

Would you give me a clue of what this problem is ?

Last strange thing...I was not wrong in reporting last definitions...the program shows latest definitions = 3/7/2006 (5643 elements in database). How come tis date o_O

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  2. littlerocktim

littlerocktim Registered Member

I've had the same problem....it says a new version is available, but attempts to download it are futile. I think someone has hacked the program.

3. spadone

Yes maybe it's hacked as you say, but then I have two questions :

1) which program could do that, as 4 or 5 other security softwares do not find any malware on my system.

2) I uninstalled spywareblaster, deleting all folders and all registry keys I found left after uninstall. Then I reinstalled the program just downloaded by official site.
    Does anybody know all keys to delete in order to get a perfect clean new installation of Spywareblaster ?

Hope somebody can help us to solve this problem as I really like this software and wouldn't like to renounce to it. Wanted to pay for automatic updates, but am too scared this can happen anyway.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Could you please take screenshots of the following tabs under Control Panel > Regional and Language:
    -Regional Options
    -Advanced

Specifically, I'm interested in your computer's setting for the "Short Date" format.

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

5. spadone

Hi,
    Coincidently I thought abt the same thing and today was switching some date settings in order to see if it could somehow affect Spywareblaster weird behaviour....

Well the problem is solved ! So it's something related to the System International/date settings in Control Panel.

My Win XP Home Edition is Italian version, provided together with HP notebook.

Before I realized the problem was solved, I changed
    1) the Short Date setting from gg/MM/aa to gg/MM/aaaa
    2) Hour type from hh.mm.ss to HH.mm.ss
    3) Metric system from U.S. to Metric decimal.

I guess the date setting only has something related to Spywareblaster.

I feel better now that I know my software was not hijacked or infected by any junk outthere.
    Hope you guys at Javacool can investigate a bit and solve this minor issue. Thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.