SpywareBlaster 3.2 update problem

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by freeforever03, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeforever03

freeforever03 Registered Member

I have been trying to use SpywareBlaster's "check for updates" feature and am having trouble. I am using a 56K modem that works well with every other web site. In this case, it appears that the program is looing for updates but doesnt get a response. In the end, the link times out and generates an error. After clicking on the error box, the program appears to update but the date stamp doesnt change. Clearly the update did not occur. I have resorted to downloading the 4 files from your web site and this seems to work. Can you help me with this problem.

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi freeforever03,

Welcome to Wilders.

Can you give us a bit more information please. What your operating system is, other security programs running (anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, etc.).

If you have not tried this yet, click on Updates -> Options -> and place a check in the box beside Use Alternative Download Method, and let us know if that solves the problem?

If not, then it may be that you need to re-allow SpywareBlaster's auto update in your firewall settings.

Regards,

snap

3. freeforever03

Thanks for your suggestions. I have Sygate 5.5 Firewall, AVAST anti virus, Spybot and Adaware running on my system. In addition I am running Windows 2000 pro on an AMD processor.

I took your suggestion and found that I forgot to enabe SpywareBlaster in Sygate. I ran it again and it didnt react properly. I then checked my SpywareBlaster settings and found that it was set to "use system connection settings". I then checked Alternate Download Method and ran it again. The green bar went half way and stopped. After a while I got a message back saying that my data base was up to date which is correct. However, I dont know whether it is really operating properly and will download new data base updates.

Also, what is the Direct connection setting?

4. claude beaini

claude beaini Registered Member

Re : Update Problems
    Hello from Paris
    this is my first time on any forum. So be patient please if my question is dum !
    In all my "check for Spyblaster Updates" , it ends by failure _ The green bar goes third the way and stops. displaying a message "error connecting to update server.
    .... server unavailable temporarely or conflict with firewall or file corrupted during download .
    I tried all tips :
    Disconnection of Firewall / manual settings for internet connection / alternate connection etc... Always the same message !
    The environment is Win2000 + Proxy + Zone Alarm + Adawre + Spybot + Spyblaster !!!
    Any help possible ?
    Bye
    Claude

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

freeforever03, I may have misunderstood your first post when I mentioned to re-allow SpywareBlasters auto update in your firewall settings. For some reason I thought you had purchased the Auto-Update option which is a separate update method from the "Check for Updates" method. The AutoUpdate method is a "pay" feature, whereas clicking on the "Check for Updates" button is for those that just want to manually checking for updates every week or so. I just wanted to clarify those differences in case I had misunderstood what type of update options you had.

The other option to update would be to manually download the 5 individual SpywareBlaster database files and place them in the SpywareBlaster folder. Those can be found under the "SpywareBlaster Tips" section in this link: SpywareBlaster Troubleshooting Tips & Tricks Sometimes manually downloading the files will fix the update problem, but you'd have to wait until there is another update before you could check to see if everything is working ok again. (At the time of this post there are 3231 items in the database.)

As for the "Direct connection setting", as far as I understand it, it means you are not going through a proxy or other program's settings to connect to the internet...though I'm sure other's could offer a better explaination. In my SpywareBlaster's all I have is the "Use the system connection/proxy settings" option checked, and I also use Sygate firewall along with a router on XP (XP's firewall is not enabled though.)

====

Hi claude beaini, and welcome to Wilders.

If you are using a proxy server that requires authentication (where you enter a username and password) SpywareBlaster does not support that yet, but it is planned for a future release, though only Javacool would know when that would be.

You may want to try downloading the 5 SpywareBlaster database files and manually updating. If you are not using the type of proxy that needs authentication, then it could be you may need to re-allow SpywareBlaster in your ZA firewall.

Most of the time it seems that the settings in either a firewall or antivirus just needs to be changed to allow SpywareBlaster to access and download the updates, but there are some systems where that did not resolve the problem, and we are not sure why that is since there doesn't seem to be a any kind of patten to it.

Please let us know if manually updating the 5 database files help.

Regards,

snap

6. freeforever03

Thanks for the advice. I'm already doing what you suggested and it does work. I'm just confused as to why this site doesn't allow me a normal download. All of my other programs (system programs, anti-virus programs, applications, firewall program, etc.) work fine. To confirm my suspicions, I monitored the traffic while attempting to download the updates. The traffic was very low (a few hundred bytes every once and a while). Sometimes their would be a large burst of incoming data but SpywareBlaster didn't acknowledge it. This would last for over a minute until I got tired of watching and canceled the request. The only other thing I can think of is some incompatability with with my modem. I have an older 56K 5900U (Lucient chip set).

7. claude beaini

Hi Snap, thanks for advice ; I'll try it tomorrow (manually download) on the concerned PC ;But ...

For Sake of technical understanding :
    How come all other products Ad-Aware, Spybot DO download updates , thru the same path, without having "not more/not less" constraints in Firewall settings ! Zone Alarm just asks if I allow or not the exchange ! same comment for proxy towards Ad-Aware and Spybot or whatever !!

So I think it's still more a question of Specific Interface because it's INDEED a proxy with Authentification ; as u said @ beginning.
    I'll get back to U later, after re-trying manual download.

Bye + Regards.
    Claude

PS : By the way, Snap, what's "global moderator" ?

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

9. snowbound

The Global part means we can fly around here bossing everybody around. :D

Just kidding. ;) :D

snowbound

10. claude beaini

11. claude beaini

Re: global !!

DAm it : u answered before my question o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O??

:oops:

12. snowbound

Re: global !!

I figured i better add the Global part as i looked at your post again and realizes u were unsure about that.;)

Enjoy your stay here at Wilders. :)

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.